Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
White Lighting Clean Streak is really expensive. Gumout looks similar and is much cheaper.

Is it safe to use Gumout on my bike's drive train?

Thanks! Greg

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
You might want to go w/ something that's easier on the brain cells. Simple Green or any citrus degreaser works great.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Probably won't work, newer bikes are fuel-injected.
But on a side-note, I have used non-chlorinated brake cleaner without issue, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you're referring to a motorcycle - "fuel-injected".

In my case, I am wanting to use Gumout for my road bike - drive train but checking with the Forum to see if anyone has experience with it and it's safe to use on bicycle.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
what's wrong with good ol' gasoline...?

it's dirt cheap right now.

·
Registered
394 Posts
You might want to go w/ something that's easier on the brain cells. Simple Green or any citrus degreaser works great.
I tried simple green as a degreaser and found it didn't really degrease anything. Its better with dirt but usually leaves the grease behind.

I used to degrease my chains but found its very unnecessary. Now just apply whatever lube of my choice, lightly scrub it with a brush to get the dirt out and wipe the chain down with a clean cloth until the surface oil and grime is gone. The main goal is to lube the inside of the chain; lube on the outside is for rust revention and you only need a thin layer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can't comment on the cleaner in question but I would imagine it would work. I personally use finshline degreaser and pour it into a parktool chain cleaner and clean everything that way. The finish line eco tech degreaser is like $12 and lasts for a while. Using an aerosol degreaser and brush only gets the surface grime.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I have used a lot of carb cleaner over the years, on motorcycles and cars.

I would not use carb cleaner to clean bicycle chains. If you use it on the bike you will get it on the frame, and it's harsh on paint. Depending on the exact carb cleaner it may dull the finish or even start dissolving it. I would also not use it on the chain off the bike. There are other less toxic solvents that work for chains.

I never degrease my chains and they're nice and clean. Every few rides I drizzle some chain lube on the chain while turning the pedals backwards, then wipe off the excess lube. That also cleans the chain. No need to degrease.

For brand new chains that are coated in sticky lube I use WD-40 to wipe the lube off the outside of the chain. The stuff on KMC chains is an ok lube but it will collect dirt if you leave it on. Carb cleaner would work for that but WD-40 is less toxic.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
why would one want to degrease a chain?? Chain needs to be greased all the time. If it's too dirty, use a rag to give it a good wipe. This is not complicated.

·
15,563 Posts
why would one want to degrease a chain?? Chain needs to be greased all the time. If it's too dirty, use a rag to give it a good wipe. This is not complicated.
I do it all the time. Then I relube. Anything wrong w/ that?

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I also strip all I can off the chain.. I like dry lubes.. so I need to get whatever is on their off first.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I degrease my chain once a week in a shop parts washer. I use dry lube. There is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone cleaning their chain to the point of shiny-spotlessness. As long as it is re-lubed in a proper manner.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
I degrease my chain once a week in a shop parts washer. I use dry lube. There is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone cleaning their chain to the point of shiny-spotlessness. As long as it is re-lubed in a proper manner.
I change the air in my tubes weekly.

I'm perfectly normal.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I do it all the time. Then I relube. Anything wrong w/ that?
It's just wasted time to remove the chain, degrease it and relube it. Whatever lube you use works its way into the chain links where the lubrication actually matters. As you ride the lube gets pushed out of the chain links as it flexes from side to side. Then you clean the surface grime off and relube effectively filling the links with fresh lubricant. There's no need to wash the old grease out.

Keeping dirt out of your chain is the number one priority for longevity. By soaking your chain in a solvent you usually end up washing dirt particles into your chain links.

·
15,563 Posts
It's just wasted time to remove the chain, degrease it and relube it. Whatever lube you use works its way into the chain links where the lubrication actually matters. As you ride the lube gets pushed out of the chain links as it flexes from side to side depending on which gear you're in. Then you clean the surface grime off and relube effectively filling the links with fresh lubricant. There's no need to wash the old grease out.

Keeping dirt out of your chain is the number one priority for longevity. By soaking your chain in a solvent you usually end up washing dirt particles into your chain links.
Ok, sure. Whatever you say.

And what exactly is it you do for a living?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts