Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking today...my helmet is about 10 years old already! I can't believe it has been 10 years. Luckily, I have never had a hard hit on it. I have gone down but never struck my head. Does the protective aspects of the padding and foam in a helmet deteriorate over time? Has 10 years been long enough?!

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Praetorian27 said:
I was just thinking today...my helmet is about 10 years old already! I can't believe it has been 10 years. Luckily, I have never had a hard hit on it. I have gone down but never struck my head. Does the protective aspects of the padding and foam in a helmet deteriorate over time? Has 10 years been long enough?!
Depends on usage. A helmet that's used daily in high altitude conditions that gets sweaty and nasty and grimy every day and has lots of high speed descents and general crap (high speed descents=gravel can hit helmet) can often need replacement after 2, 3 years. That's what the helmet mfg's have been saying of late, though it's ben an ultimatum of every 2-3 years regardless. If you rarely wear your helmet, it's often much more long lasting. Although I would say myself that after 10 years I would want a new helmet, in terms of the ventilation and retention systems on new helmets, and also just possible worries about the integrity of the foam padding.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Helmet MFR's will say that the styrofoam stuff will degrade to the point that it's not any good any more after 5 years or so. Some may say it's just liability...

I know moto helmet folks are far more vigilant about the 5-year barrier.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I'm surprised that helmet manufacturers don't suggest replacing your helmet at least once per year.

If your helmet hasn't taken a hit, it's probably fine. If you want a new one because of style changes, then get a new one. That's really the only reason to buy one.

Got a beer / pop cooler? Do you buy a new one every 2 years? Same thing, y'know. OK, you use your helmet more, but so what?

· Banned
657 Posts
I agree w/ those recommendations to replace after 3-4 yrs & alway after a hit. Visit your local level 1 trauma center & go to NICU (neuro intesive care) if you are thinking a new helmet is too pricy.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
venus said:
I agree w/ those recommendations to replace after 3-4 yrs & alway after a hit. Visit your local level 1 trauma center & go to NICU (neuro intesive care) if you are thinking a new helmet is too pricy.
Good point! My wife is an occupational therapist and she works with head injuries all the time. Think I'll visit the ol' LBS!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.