Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hopefully the NSA isn't monitoring this transmission, or your screwed buddy, enjoy Cuba.

For the record, I only want americans to win everything, even if we suck at that sport, and when someone from frogland wins something, I curse the frogs and call the frog that won a coward. I hope this clears any missconceptions up, I wouldn't want to room with Cory in Cuba. I'm sure he's fine, it's just the location, location, location.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
I don't have much use for winter sports, but I enjoy the Olympics--the athletes are just SO good and have worked so hard to get there that I root for nearly everybody, same way I do at a bike race.
It doesn't matter to me, though, whether the USA or somebody else takes the gold. Unless I know somebody or admire them for some reason (like Lance, for being able to come back), I generally cheer the performance regardless of who puts it on.
So I mentioned that in a meeting this morning, and it's like I was wearing an Osama bin Laden T-shirt: Why don't you love America?, Why do you hate freedom? U!S!A! U!S!A!
Given a choice, I'd usually want the American to win. But how can you not be happy for some Chinese athlete who pulled himself out of a rice paddy to beat an American kid whose father was a heart surgeon and kept him in BMWs while he was going to Harvard?

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Cory said:
I don't have much use for winter sports, but I enjoy the Olympics--the athletes are just SO good and have worked so hard to get there that I root for nearly everybody, same way I do at a bike race.
It doesn't matter to me, though, whether the USA or somebody else takes the gold. Unless I know somebody or admire them for some reason (like Lance, for being able to come back), I generally cheer the performance regardless of who puts it on.
So I mentioned that in a meeting this morning, and it's like I was wearing an Osama bin Laden T-shirt: Why don't you love America?, Why do you hate freedom? U!S!A! U!S!A!
Given a choice, I'd usually want the American to win. But how can you not be happy for some Chinese athlete who pulled himself out of a rice paddy to beat an American kid whose father was a heart surgeon and kept him in BMWs while he was going to Harvard?
I just want to see a good competition. It's sport. It's about winning and losing and playing the game. I want to see athletes performing at the highest levels on the greatest stage in the world.

Is it treason to care less if a Chinese athlete pulled himself out of a rice paddy to beat an American kid whose father was a heart surgeon and kept him in BMWs while he was going to Harvard? The backstories rarely interest me, because if you dig deep enough, everyone has one. Hell, working in a rice paddy may have given the Chinese athlete an physical and mental advantage the American never had. They just made a movie about a guy like that, Jim Braddock.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Cory said:
Better watch out Cory, Elmore Fudd Cheney heard you and coming to get you.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Cory said:

cory, really...why do you hate america? if a kid has a bmw and went to harvard does that make him a bad person? if the bmw driving ivy leaguer took his talents and wins a gold medal he should be as proud as any kid from anywhere. you should be happy for anyone who wins a gold medal but yes, its treason if you dont want the usa to win.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Cory said:
cory, why do you hate our family?

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
I root for the underdog.

If I can't figure out who the underdog is, I root for the real short dude.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
i LOVED when the 'dream team' blew it in Athens.

I love the rare ooccasion when we're the 'under dogs', and pull something off, like the US Hockey team in Lake Placid, or Lemond/Armstrong, or the US soccer team in Japan/Korea.

After that, who cares?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Exactly. No amount of cheerleading or propaganda or publicity can change the fact that the athletes are in this primarily for their own benefit--a gold medal doesn't confer any sort of additional legitimacy on a country's politics or culture, and it doesn't prove that a country is somehow superior. Does some barely articulate, red-haired goof on a snowboard really convey anything positive about the U.S. to the rest of the world?

I can appreciate a great performance regardless of the athlete's nationality....

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
NE'r

botto said:
i LOVED when the 'dream team' blew it in Athens.

I love the rare ooccasion when we're the 'under dogs', and pull something off, like the US Hockey team in Lake Placid, or Lemond/Armstrong, or the US soccer team in Japan/Korea.

After that, who cares?
Having grown up in the Northeast, and having winter sports be most of the year, I love the winter games. I don't care who wins, just want to see them compete, as most of the time, we don't get to see any of these sports on TV (when was the last time you saw biathlon on TV? Yes, 4 years ago in 2002). I can relate to a lot of the ski racing and nordic skiing, as that's what I used to do a long time ago. I would love to see our ski team dominate, but so far, they're getting shut out. Always like the US ski team. Trained with some of those guys, and coached against a lot of them that are now on the US team. Good to see them go from little USSA juniors to kicking arse on the world cup now. You could always tell the best ones though, high level of talent at a young age. But then again, most elite athletes in the world fall under that category.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Cory said:
And you wonder why 40% of Americans still approve of Bush's performance? :rolleyes:

Did you see the Chinese guy in the skating pairs who tore his achilles back in Aug '05 to come back and perform at medal level in like 5 months? Just freakin' amazing!

BTW, from what I understand, the Chinese Olympic athletes are picked rather early in life. They train constantly and don't get to see their families more than a week or two a year. (Of course, this could just be propaganda put forth by our gooberment.)

Nationalism can be fun, but seeing the best athlete rewarded for an outstanding performance is special.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
grew up in the NE and i know what you mean.

I have to say that I oved seeing that dude, i think his name
is chad hedrick, beat sven kramer. i live in the netherlands, and the dutch commentators are so [email protected] arrogant about their skaters, and the skaters aren't far off, that it;s nice to see them beaten. when they have temper tantrums after, it's all the sweeter. having said that, i feel the same way when an american athlete is beaten, and shows poor sportsmanship.

magnolialover said:
Having grown up in the Northeast, and having winter sports be most of the year, I love the winter games. I don't care who wins, just want to see them compete, as most of the time, we don't get to see any of these sports on TV (when was the last time you saw biathlon on TV? Yes, 4 years ago in 2002). I can relate to a lot of the ski racing and nordic skiing, as that's what I used to do a long time ago. I would love to see our ski team dominate, but so far, they're getting shut out. Always like the US ski team. Trained with some of those guys, and coached against a lot of them that are now on the US team. Good to see them go from little USSA juniors to kicking arse on the world cup now. You could always tell the best ones though, high level of talent at a young age. But then again, most elite athletes in the world fall under that category.

·
I'm not like anyone else
1,796 Posts
Cory said:
I hear you... for me the real interest is in the personality and the accomplishment. It doesn't really matter where they come from because it isn't about a place or a backgbround, it's a bout the person. I cheer for all of them. They are all incredible and accomplished. During the tour, I was always happy to see Postal/Discovery do well because the team is from my own country which, like you, I have paid a price to defend. But how many "Americans" are on the US team? It's a group of personalities who are all individuals driven by their own "what's inside". When I watch the competition during the Olympics, I see individuals... I don't see countries. I respect them all!

Cheers

EDB

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
If I can't figure out who the underdog is, I root for the real short dude.

The short dude ain't the underdog in bike riding.

yours truly,

Dropped by the short dude

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,257 Posts
Walrus - I truly like that red-haired goof

He's accessible, charming and unpretentious. Along with the rest of the snowboarding team he's a first-class representative of the U S A. If I weren't an American and I saw that guy on TV, I'd say, "Hey, Americans aren't that bad, after all."

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
You're a heretic and should be burned at the stake. NTTAWWT

·
Registered
727 Posts
move to canada, cory. we actually believe in the spirit of the games and in sportsmanship, unlike our wacko-tobacco-jacko neighbors to the south. don't diss hockey or cold beer though, or you're right back where ya came from.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Yeah but then he'd have to live in Canada with free health care and stuff. Ew.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts