Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
hollandbk said:
hey just got a specialized allez and I wanted to know would it be worth it to upgrade the front derailuer and crank to tiagra, or should I just wait and maybe get a complete 105 set
So you have Sora now?

Wait for the 105 upgrade!

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
hollandbk said:
the rear is tiagra, front and shifters are sora and crank is Sugino never heard of it
Ok, wait and go Full 105.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Waiting

hollandbk said:
hey just got a specialized allez and I wanted to know would it be worth it to upgrade the front derailuer and crank to tiagra, or should I just wait and maybe get a complete 105 set
As others have said, ride what you have and replace it when it wears out. If you had wanted the higher end stuff, you should have bought a higher priced bike right off, as that is a much better price deal than "upgrading" and ending up with a box of spare parts.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys, I guess i'll wait for the stuff to ware out and buy 105 piece by piece, not that the parts are bad becuase I really like the bike I was just thinking it would only cost me like 80 to upgrade the front derailure and crank to tiagra but if its not worth it i'll wait

·
Registered
329 Posts
hollandbk said:
thanks guys, I guess i'll wait for the stuff to ware out and buy 105 piece by piece, not that the parts are bad becuase I really like the bike I was just thinking it would only cost me like 80 to upgrade the front derailure and crank to tiagra but if its not worth it i'll wait
I sincerely doubt that you would notice the upgrade except mentally (self fulfilling prophecy).

Wait and save your cash. Who knows, maybe you will find some money and you can buy a complete second bike with 105 or better (for some, it is nice to have a spare bike).

cheers

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
my frame of thought is upgrade when stuff breaks ...or widdle the breaking stuff on your bike down to make it a singlespeed and upgrade to a second bike with a higher groupo.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,046 Posts
If you really ride your bike enough to wear out your crank, you should be upgrading to Ultegra at a minimum. Ride what you have until it breaks, then see where you're at.

·
Registered
638 Posts
tiagra is basically sora, by friend just bought the Allez elite with tiagra. Skip right ahead to 105 or the best idea would be to go piece by piece and check ebay for Ultegra. Theres plenty of people that get a brand new bike with ultegra and upgrade immediately so theres always cheap unused components on ebay. Ive ridden my friends allez and Id say that brake calipers and rear der. should go first. next you can get an ultegra front der. for dirt cheap on ebay. Then id move to a nice ultegra crankset and some shifters/levers. It amazes me that they dont offer that bike with better stuff because the frame is definately worthy of a good group. I guess theyre worried that itll start to compete with their other lines. None the less ive used a full 105 group and a full ultegra group. theres not an enormous difference but its also not a notable price difference if youre getting it piece by piece on ebay. The brakes, cranks, rear der. are where I notice the biggest advantages of ultegra. Either way youve got a nice bike so enjoy it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.