Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a pretty mint Raliegh Sprite 27 frame. Would it be worth converting to fixed? It came with a cracked and flat Brooks B68 saddle. Is it worth anything or what should I do with it?

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
A few suggestions...

Plan on laying out $100.00 for the conversion. If you DIY, plan on half.

Both bikes have some style points, if you like those old racers, but neither are worth anything. Life as a cool fixie is just a way to show that old bike a new outlook.

The Brooks is not worth anything in disrepair, but if it is ridable, would add style points to the Raleigh.

The Peugeot, is it a road or MTB? For some reason I thought the Terran was an off roadie...It may have some strange thread sizes.

With all that said, I'd choose which ever frame has the best fit, condition and over all looks.

Post a couple of pic's and we'll be glad to chime in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The only decal on the whole bike that is scuffed is the model name on the top tube. I think it says Terran but amybe it's something different.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Seen it before...

where a picture distorts the front end, but that pic... You gotta be absolutely sure cause there are no second chances when a fork goes.

Are the frames the same size? They look a bit different in the pictures.

Either way, you got yourself quite a project there. Take everything apart, don't lose any bearings, pack with grease, wax and buff the frames.

The rear wheels may be the biggest challenge. Unless you've worked on older bikes, you may not have the tool needed to remove the rear freewheels. Then you'll need to re-dish the wheel if you wish to re-use it.

Debates on using a non-fixed hub happen daily here. As long as you use your rear break and don't attempt to slow with the cranks, you will be fine.

Keep us informed on the progress...

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Ditto teh Raliegh. French bikes can be a PITA to get bb's and pedals that will fit. Besides, a 27" wheel set rides really nice IMHO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i just striped the sprite down. the rims were trashed way to heavy and not true so i put them in the dumpster. lots of rust on the chain stay but steel wool will help. What should i look into for a wheelset?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I got a front @ my lbs for about $40. Weinmann, not too heavy. I had a rear that I got on e-bay for not much more w/ a flip/flop hub. Not Phil Wood but they provided thousands of miles of enjoyment.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
ccski003 said:
i'm pretty sure the fork is straight the picture is just funny
Well, I just checked my Sprite in my basement (priest bars and fenders-"Dutch Roadster" style that was popular back then), and your fork is most certainly bent. Also, my Sprite is about 30 lbs. Another consideration-the Raleigh uses very non-standard parts, and most threads are whitworth standard, not english standard, so conversion pieces will be expensive, if even available.
The Peugot is probably lighter, and parts more available.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
everyone else was talking about the fork on the puegeot being bent so now your sayin the sprite is to? it's a sprite 27 not an original one so are you sure about the threads?

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
ccski003 said:
everyone else was talking about the fork on the puegeot being bent so now your sayin the sprite is to? it's a sprite 27 not an original one so are you sure about the threads?
Quite certain about the threading. The steerer is also a strange (non-standard) size, as is the stem, bars, etc. The cranks cottered, as well. Have fun with it-you'll need some luck as well.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.