Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit yesterday I made my wife pick me up at work and left my bike here so I could not ride in this morning either. Do I need to turn in my commuter card? :rolleyes:

\kidding but it sucks no?

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
rockcrusher said:
I admit yesterday I made my wife pick me up at work and left my bike here so I could not ride in this morning either. Do I need to turn in my commuter card? :rolleyes:

\kidding but it sucks no?
Your commuter card still is good.

My wife now works across the street from my office and drives to and from work. I often will ride to work and drive home with my wife. Sometimes I take the bike in the car so that I have a ride home and other times I leave it here, drive to work in the morning and then ride the bike home the next day. I find that having an alternative to riding home actually increases the days that I commute. There are days when the weather is good in the morning, but the prediction for the evening is not so good. Before my wife worked across the street, I just would have left the bike home. Now, I ride to work. If the weather prediction was wrong, I ride home. If it was right, I get a ride. Although I ride in rain and bad weather, I do not like combining bad weather with commuting traffic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Flexibility in the mode of commuting is key. I combine bike plus train, bus, car, etc. to keep it interesting and within energy, stamina and motivational limits. Near as I can remember, my wife has never picked me up - that would be to surrender.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I pulled a lucky sly one yesterday. I come out of work and it's raining pretty steady and the roads are quite wet. I called my wife and asked how the weather was at home and she said it wasn't raining and the roads were dry. Me and the bike grabbed the light rail to my hometown and rode home with no rain and dry roads. Hah....felt like a sly fox, not a cheater.

·
Done
4,591 Posts
It Depends

rockcrusher said:
. Do I need to turn in my commuter card?
That all depends on the reason for bailing, doesn't it?

When in doubt about riding, just remember the immortal words of my long time commuting buddy Mr. G. Gallagher, Esquire: "So you want to take the afternoon off? Heart disease doesn't take the afternoon off..."

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Not a shame in my book. If you feel like you must bike commute every day, it could quickly become a chore. I generally have to drive to work 1-2 days/week due to meetings, doctor's appointments, or just to restock clean clothes and other supplies at work. So I try to time my driving times to the rainy days. Sometimes I'm able to bike commute every day in a week, but most weeks it works out to the 3-4 days.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
MB1 said:
I wonder if my wife would do that for me? :idea:
Of course Miss M would pick you up from work if she had a car at the office. Then she would drive you to some place like Purcellville or Thurmont, dump you and your bike out of the car and then speed away. :cryin: You never would ask for a ride again.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It happens. I have bailed twice on the way to work in the last 5 years. Both times because of 40 to 50 mph winds. The last time I knew the wind was going to being blowing hard, but tried anyway. I got about 2 miles into my commute then turned around. At first I felt bad, then I realize the weather is going to win sometimes. It happens.

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
MB1 said:
I actually enjoy riding/commuting in nasty weather but I draw the line at thunder and lightening.
So, did you ride the bike today? They're calling for t-storms this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
If it is a work day and I am at work; I rode.

Gregory Taylor said:
Of course he did. I know because I saw Miss M over by the airport.
And of course you saw her because you were riding your bike.

BTW the next time you see her ask about our new plastic bike.

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,070 Posts
Nothing wrong with it. Any commuting by bike you do puts you lightyears ahead of the masses. Nothing wrong with rest days either. I took the day off the bike today based on the weather report and the message it was getting from my legs: Take a break, mother******.

·
Done
4,591 Posts
macalu said:
Nothing wrong with it. Any commuting by bike you do puts you lightyears ahead of the masses. Nothing wrong with rest days either. I took the day off the bike today based on the weather report and the message it was getting from my legs: Take a break, mother******.
Plus you didn't want to get that pretty Paramount all wet....

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
So, did you ride the bike today? They're calling for t-storms this afternoon.
But what was really cool, is that one cell moved East out of D.C. clearing Georgetown about 4:30pm when I left work, and the other didn't arrive until way after I got home. Wet pavement only, no water in the air.

Back to the bail issue, I have found I ALWAYS regret bailing. Nothing wrong with it, but I sure am envious of the riders I see while I'm walking, sitting in the car, subway, bus, etc. And most days end up like today - It looks like it will be bad, but really isn't at the time I am riding. (Hmmm.... dumping a lot of water outside right now.....)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
The only time in recent memory that I bailed was a couple of winters ago. My commuter is strictly a road bike. I rode in with no probs at all. During the day it snowed 8". I called "She, who must be obeyed" for a rescue. I drove the car today because of fog. It was really dense out there. My commute is all 2 lane rds with no shoulders, and I leave the house at 5:15 AM. It's very dark then. Dark is all right, but dark & dense fog is not.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.