Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,383 Posts
bas said:
There is now way Floyd could of held Basso's wheel today.

Basso barely broke a sweat - he wasn't even breathing hard!
What's your deal with Floyd. Let's see he's a world class athlete that makes more in a year than you make in a lifetime, happy healthy family and a genuinely nice guy that is probably friends with Basso, yep he's probably really bumming right now. (Edit) Oh ya, he gets to ride his bike for living too.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
I personally believe that Floyd is going to give both Jan and Ivan a real run for their money in the Tour. Who knows what Ivan's fitness is going to be in July?

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OnTheRivet said:
What's your deal with Floyd. Let's see he's a world class athlete that makes more in a year than you make in a lifetime, happy healthy family and a genuinely nice guy that is probably friends with Basso, yep he's probably really bumming right now. (Edit) Oh ya, he gets to ride his bike for living too.
I could care less what Floyd makes in a year and that has nothing to do with any beef I might have.

Basso is putting in a world class performance, and barely braking a sweat or breathing hard on the moutains.

Landis is going to have to bring all he has and more to make podium.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Giro form and Tour form are 2 totally different things, I would be suprised if Basso could hold peak form for that long. Floyd, Basso, Jan and anyone who wants to make the podium are going to have to bring everything that they have and more to the tour. If Basso brings anything less than his best Jan will steam roll right over him in the tour.

As far as Basso not breaking a sweat, BS he was going hard and then some to put more time into everyone, hes just stronger so he does not have to go super VO2 to do it.

bas said:
I could care less what Floyd makes in a year and that has nothing to do with any beef I might have.

Basso is putting in a world class performance, and barely braking a sweat or breathing hard on the moutains.

Landis is going to have to bring all he has and more to make podium.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
32and3cross said:
Giro form and Tour form are 2 totally different things, I would be suprised if Basso could hold peak form for that long. Floyd, Basso, Jan and anyone who wants to make the podium are going to have to bring everything that they have and more to the tour. If Basso brings anything less than his best Jan will steam roll right over him in the tour.

As far as Basso not breaking a sweat, BS he was going hard and then some to put more time into everyone, hes just stronger so he does not have to go super VO2 to do it.

Basso had TdF form last year - and also had form for the Giro. If he didn't get his stomach problem, he would of Won the Giro last year and #2 at the TdF.

So as far as holding form for the Giro and TdF - he's already proved it.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Maybe

There is no way to say the Basso would have definatly won the Giro last year virtual victories don't count, so as of yet he has not proved he can win both.

I agree it maybe possible taht he can hold form for both but I thinks very unlikely he will be at top form for both. I think hes on top form right now and I don't think he can get any better on this peak so that leaves 2 directions maintain which will be very hard or go down, which is likely.

bas said:
Basso had TdF form last year - and also had form for the Giro. If he didn't get his stomach problem, he would of Won the Giro last year and #2 at the TdF.

So as far as holding form for the Giro and TdF - he's already proved it.

G

·
Geez, chill out, personal attacks suck.

Anyway - I doubt Floyd is shaking in his shoes. He's a pro - and it's a long time b/4 the TdF. He'll take note of Basso's strength atm, and the team will come up with a plan that they think will work against him.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
Basso dropping out sick last year

may have saved his legs for the tour. He may be more knackered this year.I hope he does well, I don't think Floyd is scared, Floyd is working on Floyd and not worrying about the competition. He's probably practicing a one handed wheelie in case he takes a Mtn Top stage. Floyd has done well so far this season, if he looks strong in the Dauphine it could be quite the contest

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
atpjunkie said:
He's probably practicing a one handed wheelie in case he takes a Mtn Top stage.

Even a 2 handed wheelie would be cool!! :)

That would be slicker than the no hands on the bars.

Has anyone ever held/done a wheelie at the end of a road race? :confused:

I saw wheelies all over in some Japanese movie that included crappy bicycles that one wouldn't think about doing that kind of stuff..

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
Robbie McEwen

does them in the TdF when he crosses the line with the autobus in the TdF Mtn stages.
Floyd can do climbs while pulling a wheelie. If Floyd takes a breakaway stage in any race where he has the chance to do it I'd bet he'd pull one.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I do relish...

Vel07 said:
Magnolialover - isnt anti anything for the sake of being different. Kind of mean but usually is legit. he also offers very good insight so if he is a d!ck everynow and then it balances out.
I do relish being a jerk once in awhile. Sometimes I can't help myself, but thanks for the sort of backhanded compliment anyway. I guess sometimes when I write things, people get mad. Oh well. It happens. You should see some of my better rantings over in Politics Only, or my blog, holy crap the blog can get downright nasty at times. But I digress...

Anyway, Landis has had a great first part of the season. He had some nice wins, both in the US, and over in Europe. Right now, he's resting, training, and putting in the work that he needs to do to be ultra competitive in le Tour.

Basso has had a great Giro thus far. He looks like a cinch to win, unless something weird happens between tomorrow and Sunday. Can he hold form for the Tour?

I also point out last year, where he had great form for the Giro, and yes, even though it might have been a virtual sort of win, or proposed win, just about everyone who was riding against him in the Giro last year said that he was a cut above everyone else there, but his stomach "issue" caused him to lose what? Almost an hour on one stage? Then he came back to stomp another stage, and finish 2nd in le Tour. He has proven that he can be in form for one race, and still have plenty of form left for le Tour. I think he can do it again. It's not unprecedented in the times and yore of cycling, guys used to do it all the time, with far less scientific training information than what the top guys use these days, and with Riis training Basso, seriously, Riis has a shady past, but he knows his stuff. Just like Cechinni (sp?) and Ferrari. Both shady guys, but extraordinary trainers and coaches. If not for Ferrari, Armstrong wouldn't have won one Tour, let alone 7 in a row. I firmly believe that Basso can hold his form for July...

But let's be serious. Tour de France this year is very, what we like to call, "TT-centric". Meaning, this is going to play in Jan's hands, if he can hold his form from now until July, which seems likely since he's sitting in the back, getting fast miles in his legs, and he freakin' ripped that TT, and put 30 seconds into Basso. The mountains in the Tour this year are not so high, and not so long. Jan will be able to hang.

Going back to Floyd. I've changed my mind on him I think. I do think he has a good chance of taking a podium spot this year, a very good chance. At the very least a top 5 placing, and he'll be a player in the mountains, and a player in the TTs, which is what you really want for a good Tour isn't it? I like Landis. He seems like a straight shooter, and a great rider. It is going to be an interesting Tour this year. Basso will have the whole of CSC working for him to win. Ullrich, for possibly the first time ever, will have T-Mobile entirely working for him. Landis, that could be the problem. In the past, Phonak has said co-leaders with Botero. Now, I love Botero, love that guy, but if Phonak really wants to win the Tour this year, screw this co-leader stuff. Make Floyd leader (he deserves it after the Spring he had), and let Botero be a very good lt in the mountains.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.