Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read this morning on Cyclingnews.Com that Gerolsteiner is going with two leaders, Levi and Georg Totschnig. I am a bit suprised by this, as Levi has had a great season leading up to the Tour, probalby his best ever. What has Totschnig done? It does not even sound like the team director is all that behind him. Gerolsteiner Team Manager Hans-Micheal Holczer said the following: "Levi says that he can come close to the podium. I certainly don't want to contradict him. But he knows very well that everything has to work out just right in these three weeks. We want to take care of that." He wishes the American well, saying, "The closer to the podium, the better."

I would have thought that Georlsteiner would be coming to the tour with a team built around supporting Levi. I guess not.

· Registered
3,375 Posts
goose127 said:
I read this morning on Cyclingnews.Com that Gerolsteiner is going with two leaders, Levi and Georg Totschnig. I am a bit suprised by this, as Levi has had a great season leading up to the Tour, probalby his best ever. What has Totschnig done? It does not even sound like the team director is all that behind him. Gerolsteiner Team Manager Hans-Micheal Holczer said the following: "Levi says that he can come close to the podium. I certainly don't want to contradict him. But he knows very well that everything has to work out just right in these three weeks. We want to take care of that." He wishes the American well, saying, "The closer to the podium, the better."

I would have thought that Georlsteiner would be coming to the tour with a team built around supporting Levi. I guess not.
You be Director for a day. Your job depends on a successful tour: either a podium place or a stage win. Get at least one, you keep your job; get none, you're fired. What would you do?

· Registered
3,055 Posts
Either he is screwed, or his DS is bluffing, trying to downplay his role after D-L. Levy is a major investment. I can't seriously believe that after D-L Levy is at the same level as Totchnig. There's no way. You don't need team support for "stage win" - if you are talking about breakaways, the whole point of breakaway is being without a team for most of the day.
Levy should get full support for the Tour from Gerolsteiner, that much is clear.

· Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
His DS has no confidence in him. I don't think they're getting along. I think that's why Levi came back to Cali for 6 weeks(?) during the spring.

I think the DS is a schmuck for repeatedly putting down levi in public.

fc

· glutton for punishment
684 Posts
francois said:
His DS has no confidence in him. I don't think they're getting along. I think that's why Levi came back to Cali for 6 weeks(?) during the spring.

I think the DS is a schmuck for repeatedly putting down levi in public.

fc
He came back to NorCal for the spring b/c he got sick and didn't want to race in the crappy weather. While he was back, Testa made him wind up the local Pro/1/2's at Copperopolis, Sea Otter, Wente, etc. Heard he attacked in the feedzone at Crapperopolis. heheh.

I do get the feeling that he is a bit of a loner @ Gerolsteiner, a solo agent type, and sitting out the spring back home probably doesn't help things. But winning DL sure shows he wasn't just riding his mtn bike in Annandel the whole time...

Gerolsteiner is smart not to be yelling about how they're going to the TdF to put Levi on the podium and that's it. This way they get to sit back a bit and ride on the coattails of T-Mob and CSC, even Phonak. Leipheimer is so small, people won't even notice him sitting on their wheel. :D

· Registered
3,789 Posts
goose127 said:

Totschnig is their homeboy. Anyone remember the race where Levi and Tater Totschnig were up the road together, Levi won and later the team PR guy or DS was on the record saying they wished Tater would have won.....nice

· Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
hmmm

orange_julius said:
And somewhere in Italy, people ask: Is Savoldelli getting screwed? Why is Discovery going with two leaders? What has George Hincapie done?
I can see why they would ask, but I think its a bit more transparent as far as what George has done. He came back from P-R after recovering from a collar bone break and rode in a GT. Not bad......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.