Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm currently riding a 2002 53cm Masi Gran Corsa and have been for a while, I'm thinking my bike is too big for me??? :confused:

My height is 5' 8.5" and my inseam is 30.5in (77.47cm).

Masi Gran Corsa Specs:

Top-Tube Length, Horizontal 560
B-B Drop 70
Chain-Stay Length 408
Seat-Tube Angle 73.5
Head-Tube Angle 73
Fork Rake 43
Front-Center 592.6
Wheelbase 990.4
Head-Tube Length 135
Stem Length 110
Crank Length 175
Seat-Post Length 350

Is my bike a good fit? or should I get a new one? or swap out components to make it fit?

If I were to get a new bike, for example a Specialized Tarmac, would I get a 52 or 54 cm?

Thanks!

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
As Dave says, it's the top tube that's probably too long.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Does something feel wrong? If you've been riding it "for a while" you should know far better than somebody can tell you based on some abstract numbers. FWIW, it's in the ballpark based on the conventional numbers. That bike has a fairly long toptube for its seattube length, but if you don't feel too stretched out, what's the problem?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been riding it for a while with the seat moved all the way up, it just doesn't feel right. I do feel kind of stretched out and my legs don't feel like I'm getting the power down.

I ride a medium 17" mountain bike, I know the geometry is different, but I feel that I have more power when riding it and it feels normal.

·
Registered
388 Posts
i agree with these folks......although that can't be the length of top tube for a 53cm.....hmmmm....not a huge difference but the masi website specs a 53 at 540 toptube 56 is 560. I would say the 56 is prob too big for you, as i am your size and it would be too much for me.

You may need to hop brands....masi goes from a 53 to a 56 in the Gran Corsa...maybe your in between here....a brand with a 54 or 55 perhaps...depending on the issue you are having i guess

But like others have said ....what makes you think it is too big for you? too stretched out? neck pain? can't handle the thing? If you are like me you need a bigger bike with a shorter top tube....for me Bianchi answers this........reply with more info and we can help more.

·
Registered
388 Posts
krzyray said:
I've been riding it for a while with the seat moved all the way up, it just doesn't feel right. I do feel kind of stretched out and my legs don't feel like I'm getting the power down.

yea....sounds like you need a new ride dog......but it depends on what type of riding you are doing....

if you plan to race, especially in crits, you need another bike...because if you shorten your stem so much so that you are comy on current bike you will not have enough weight over the front hub and cornering could become dangerous at speed. If you are just riding around you would prob be ok with an 80 or 90mm stem at the most(at least this my limit for comfort)

Shorten stem= more comfortable but dangerous
new smaller frame=comfy and safe and efficient and .....

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
A 53 seems in keeping with your height. Maybe try a shorter stem.

And wassup with the 175 cranks? I bet 170's would feel better for you.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Same cycling inseam and I'm .5 inches shorter....That top tube would be too long for me
Dave...wait a second...you are 5' 8" ?

I an 5' 5", ride a 53 cm Bianchi, I have a 30.5 standover. BUT my top tube is 53 too.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Sounds like the 53 Masi is a compact geometry bike. Hence the 53 cm sizing with the 56 cm top tube.

For comparison sake, the Fuji SL1 and CCR are setup the same way. But the Team series and the SST are "standard" sizing. 56=56.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm more or less the same dimensions and that TT would be way too long for me. I ride with a 53cm TT and a 100mm stem and it feels perfect.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
frdfandc said:
Sounds like the 53 Masi is a compact geometry bike. Hence the 53 cm sizing with the 56 cm top tube.

For comparison sake, the Fuji SL1 and CCR are setup the same way. But the Team series and the SST are "standard" sizing. 56=56.
Could it be measured C-T-C instead of C-T-T?

I'm 5' 8" and the longest top tube I can handle for more than half an hour is 53cm with a 9 cm stem. My smaller road bikes have shorter 52 and 52.5cm top tubes but I run a 100 and 90mm stem on those bikes, respectively.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
I'm 5'8.5" w/ 31" inseam and I have a 54cm with a 54.5 virtual top tube (eg: compact frame) with a 120mm stem.

Fit, even if your body proportion is the exact same as someone else doesn't matter since other factors come into play with position on the bike. So "their" bike still might not fit you. My bike came with the 90mm and it didn't work with my back.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm 5'10" and I prefer all of my bikes to have around a 55cm top tube. It is personal preference, but I'm pretty sure that's too big for you.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
too big...

I'm sure it can be made to fit with a stubby stem, but the next size smaller would have been a better choice.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm about the same height and use an effective TT of between 53-54. I have a longish torso too.

The TT on your current one sounds too long IMO

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Try a shorter stem to see if it helps. I'd say drop down from a 100 (most likely what you have) to a 70 and see if it feels better.
If it helps, and you can push the seat back too, then yes you could use a smaller frame.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts