Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think have a significant problem with my bike frame. I have a Colnago C40 1998 vintage. I was taking out the bottom bracket ( Ultegra) tonight as part of a changeover to some FSA compact cranks. Now I've had some episodes where I've gotten water in the frame (maybe twice in the past 2 + years) but I've taken off the seatpost and drained it out; no problem. Well, tonight I take out the bottom bracket and mud and gunk come dumping out. I'd had no clue there were any problems down there; the bearing is smooth as silk (thumbs up on Ultegra BB's!). I clean it up and see what looks like to be significant corrosion with pitting in the shell. Now I thought that maybe most of the ugliness around the chainstay and seat tube insertion points could just be the epoxy used in making the frame, but there is chunk of the threading eaten away on the drive side. Pics are below, they were the best I oculd get.

Is this a major problem? Is there a fix for it if so? If not should I just ride the bike till the shell cracks? Again I haven't noticed any problems with riding the bike. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you hadn't pulled the BB, you'd have never known. If you like the bike, install the new parts and ride it. Check once and a while for cracks.

·
Banned
653 Posts
Can you get some lime/hard water deposit cleaner in there
and flush out the radiator? I would even apply an weak acid etch.
After cleaning, apply a wax-like rust inhibitor and have fun again

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to hear that nobody (at least from this sample) thinks my bike is on the critical list. I need to take the bike in to get the BB shell faced as you can probably tell from one of the pics and I'll get another opinion from those guys. I'll definitely put some sort of protective coating in there before re-installing the bearings.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Looks ok to me but hard to tell from pictures. Get the LBS opinion. Before you re-install the BB use some JP Weigle Framesaver, boiled linseed oil or at least some type of clinging lubricant to coat the insides of the entire frame. Framesaver is designed for this purpose and others have reported good results with the linseed oil or clinging lube. If you use a clinging lube I'd recommend bi-annual applications. Framesaver and linseed oil are usually good for years. Also a BB hole might be in order. Someone here designed a home made jiggle valve that lets water out but not in. I don't know if this is necessary but sounds reasonable. Take care of that frame, it's a nice one.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mel Erickson said:
Looks ok to me but hard to tell from pictures. Get the LBS opinion. Before you re-install the BB use some JP Weigle Framesaver, boiled linseed oil or at least some type of clinging lubricant to coat the insides of the entire frame. Framesaver is designed for this purpose and others have reported good results with the linseed oil or clinging lube. If you use a clinging lube I'd recommend bi-annual applications. Framesaver and linseed oil are usually good for years. Also a BB hole might be in order. Someone here designed a home made jiggle valve that lets water out but not in. I don't know if this is necessary but sounds reasonable. Take care of that frame, it's a nice one.
I've always thought framesaver was steel frames. Is it beneficial for carbon too?

I'm planning on just taking the bolt out of BB cable guide. I've considered this before but I've always made a point of not riding this bike in the rain. Look where that got me though.

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
hfc said:
Is this a major problem? Is there a fix for it if so? If not should I just ride the bike till the shell cracks?
You absolutely must dispose of this frame immediately. Box it up and send it my way, I'll take care of the details.

Seriously, it'll be fine. Let your LBS have a look if it'll make you feel better, but I'd ride it.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
As you've found out there is steel in that frame. Obviously the carbon will not corrode. If you've never ridden the frame in rain where did the water come from? Taking the screw out of the BB cable guide is a good idea.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mel Erickson said:
As you've found out there is steel in that frame. Obviously the carbon will not corrode. If you've never ridden the frame in rain where did the water come from? Taking the screw out of the BB cable guide is a good idea.
Yeah I agree about the bottom bracket; I was just trying to determine the utility of dumping frame saver (or whatever it is you do with it) into the whole frame.

I have gotten caught in the rain before like I mentioned earlier, 2 or 3 times over 2 years, but I always thought I did a good job of dumping the water out.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Sounds like that water has been sitting in there for a long time. From the photos I'd say it did minimal damage for such long contact. I don't know, but suspect, that Colnago used steel in a couple of other places within their C40 frames in 1998. Maybe the head tube and/or seat tube/top tube/seat stay junction? Have you looked in these areas? Framesaver is a spray and I like it because it really sticks where you spray it over a long time. Obviously for a steel frame you spray it everywhere inside the frame. For a C40 you could just use it where the steel is. Check out the tube junctions or maybe someone else knows if Colnago used steel in any other areas of a 1998 C40.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts