Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 year old Selle Italia SLK with 20-30k miles on it. I'm noticing that I'm getting some chafing and soreness and other unpleasantness. I heard that some people replace their saddles every year. Is it time for a new one?

Also, I just tore the edge of it in a crash, so I might need a new one. Is the SLK gel flow similar to the old SLK?

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
Wearing thin

TiCoyote said:
I have a 4 year old Selle Italia SLK with 20-30k miles on it. I'm noticing that I'm getting some chafing and soreness and other unpleasantness. I heard that some people replace their saddles every year. Is it time for a new one?
You should be able to tell by looking at it whether you saddle is wearing out. Compressed or shifted foam/gel, cracks on the underside, bent rails, etc. Replace a saddle every year? I guess if you did huge miles, were a serious clyde, or bought crap saddles maybe that would make sense. My Selle Italia SLR has 48,000 miles on it. The leather wore out so I just peeled off the leather and scraped off the thin foam, and now the saddle is more comfortable (for me) than it was before. YMMV

·
weird huh?
304 Posts
I'd doubt it's the saddle, even inexpensive brands are going to last a few years.

Look at your shorts. Invest in some high quality bibs. Worn chamios/padding/gel in the shorts will have a more dramatic impact on the nether regions than the saddle will.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts