Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
If you re-glue the stitching protector strip to the tire, it shouldn't be a problem.

When you repair a tubular (as people used to do all the time), you pull a section of that strip off to get at the stitching, open the stitching, pull a section of tube out, patch the tube, put it back into the tire and re-stitch the seam. Then you re-glue the strip back to the tire. So it's been done many, many times. I used to use the same adhesive to glue the strip to the tire I used to glue the tire to the rim and never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I've used the same glue as well for repairs (much smaller area) for this you may want to find some latex glue or give barge cement a shot.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Just use the tubular glue. Why would you even mess with cyanoacrylates is beyond me.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Why would you even mess with cyanoacrylates is beyond me.
What usually happens is that people glue the tire onto the rim so tightly that it can only be removed destructively. So the desire is to glue the protector strip on so tightly that it will never come off again, no matter what. It's much better to glue the tire onto the rim in such a fashion that it can be removed in a non-destructive way. Lost art, perhaps?

A tip: When removing a tubular tire, start by peeling up the protector strip until you have enough of it off the rim to put the tips of your thumbs under it. That way you pull the protector strip and the tire off as one unit.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Would it hurt to use SuperGlue? Or just the Glue I'm going to use?
Most definitely not super glue, you need a glue that stays pliable.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
A tip: When removing a tubular tire, start by peeling up the protector strip until you have enough of it off the rim to put the tips of your thumbs under it. That way you pull the protector strip and the tire off as one unit.
Good tip, saw a Blanco wrench video the other day from the Giro, he used a screwdriver under the tire once he got it lifted to work his way around.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
I would not use a screwdriver (esp. if the rims are carbone). Usually side to side pushing and pulling with your hand is enough to loosen and then you can use your body weight to take the tire off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.