Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Opus was just napping
21,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an item up for sale on the local craigslist...and despite right in my post saying...

"Cash and carry only--no checks--no checks--no checks--no I won't take your checks...you must present yourself and carry my item from my house to your car after you have given me CASH"

So despite this...of course I get the scammers who in barely legible english tell me that they want the item (never named) and that they are paying with check, for me to delist the item and they will have their delivery company pick up the item.

So my replies have become more and more a study on Carlin's 7 words you cannot say...before I got to thinking...are they really reading the replies? Or am I just wasting my time?

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Selling cocaine on CL is not advisable.

joe

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
watch out for the prostitution stings.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
tomk96 said:

they got you too, eh'?

joe

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
tomk96 said:
I thought that was just out here. A friend told me that.

Yelling at scammers does do something - it gives them a valid email address.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
thatsmybush said:
Have an item up for sale on the local craigslist...and despite right in my post saying...

"Cash and carry only--no checks--no checks--no checks--no I won't take your checks...you must present yourself and carry my item from my house to your car after you have given me CASH"

So despite this...of course I get the scammers who in barely legible english tell me that they want the item (never named) and that they are paying with check, for me to delist the item and they will have their delivery company pick up the item.

So my replies have become more and more a study on Carlin's 7 words you cannot say...before I got to thinking...are they really reading the replies? Or am I just wasting my time?
1) No
2) Yes, big time

·
Opus was just napping
21,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kykr13 said:
I thought that was just out here. A friend told me that.

Yelling at scammers does do something - it gives them a valid email address.
That's okay because it is my junk gmail account. I am just hoping that they are reading my poetic profanity and understanding some of it...although I am not naive enough to think they will see the error of their ways. Unless of course they did in fact recently recieve an invasive frontal lobotomy...and if that is the case, I apologize.

·
Administrator
13,007 Posts
mohair_chair said:
My replies have always been limited to two words: "Cash only." No sense explaining or elaborating.
I just add them to the spam list and move on.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
2 other words- Dee Lete

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
I remember reading about a case where someone started a dialogue with these guys and got them all the way into another country that was very dangerous. Can't remember where though.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Well at least you're getting listed on Craigslist. I've posted my bike up 2x now and the ad never shows up.
that's been my problem w/ craigslist. - no shows.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm selling a bike on CL. First item in the description is the size. About 50% of the emails ask what size it is. Just got one from a lawyer with all his practice info in his sig. I'd sure hate to have him as counsel if he can't read.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
mohair_chair said:
On CL they don't get your email address.
Scammer sends to TMB but doesn't have his email because it's thru CL. When TMB replies, then scammer gets email address. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works (been a few months since I've used it).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts