Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
This happens on every message board where the focus is a seasonal activity. Check out some hunting message boards in June....

Starting in April or May, this board will be bombarded with "What bike should I buy" type of posts.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
dez182 said:
Starting in April or May, this board will be bombarded with "What bike should I buy" type of posts.

...followed shortly by, "Did I get a good deal?", "Do you wear underwear with bike shorts?", "How do I use clipless pedals?", "Shorts or bibs?", "What's the benefit of shaved legs?", "Some azzhole didn't wave at me", "What's the best way to clean road rash?", etc., etc., etc.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Time of year and specialization.

filly said:
Seems like this site is getting less and less posts. Anyone else notice this?
There are less casual folks around in the winter and there are so many specialized forums on this site that are soaking up a lot of the posts that formerly ended up on the General Forum.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Really? Things are hopping over in NCD and PO....

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
RE: NCD and PO, Alexander Pope said it best.

Bocephus Jones II said:
Really? Things are hopping over in NCD and PO....
"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."

NNTIAWWT

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Bryan said:
I tried to do my part by starting a thread the other day, but it was yanked by the mods. :rolleyes:

But we told you to buy the spokes. And wash your shorts.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dez182 said:
This happens on every message board where the focus is a seasonal activity. Check out some hunting message boards in June....

yeah, but don't you think the folks on this site are true enthusiasts, regardless of whether it's summer or winter? one would think the summer visitors would stick around the whole year. if you're the type of guy/gal perusing this site during June, then i'd think you'd be the type to have cycling on the brain year round. for instance, my pop rides, but he doesn't visit the site. also, he's not "crazed" about it like i am...hence the reason i'm here year round.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MB1 said:
There are less casual folks around in the winter and there are so many specialized forums on this site that are soaking up a lot of the posts that formerly ended up on the General Forum.
i'm not just talking about the general forum...i meant the site as a whole. it's definitely dropped off since i started with it a couple of years ago. for instance, you can often go to the components forum and see that the last post was over 14 hours ago.

i check out one other forum...bikeforums.net. i prefer this one, as i'm more familiar with it and the folks on here. i'm more of a lurker over there. the whole reason i ventured out and started visiting the other one as well is because of the drop-off here. not sure why, but bf.net gets A LOT more traffic, even though it's the same "stuff" you'd find on here.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
filly said:
i'm not just talking about the general forum...i meant the site as a whole. it's definitely dropped off since i started with it a couple of years ago. for instance, you can often go to the components forum and see that the last post was over 14 hours ago.

i check out one other forum...bikeforums.net. i prefer this one, as i'm more familiar with it and the folks on here. i'm more of a lurker over there. the whole reason i ventured out and started visiting the other one as well is because of the drop-off here. not sure why, but bf.net gets A LOT more traffic, even though it's the same "stuff" you'd find on here.
How much is there really to say about components that hasn't been said 100 times already?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Regardless of other answers, I agree. Perhaps it's because I'm increasingly bored to the teeth at work and desperate for something interesting and even a touch of "virtual" human contact, but in the Racing, Components, Wheels, and Shave Some Weight forums, the last entries are often "2 Days Ago" or "13 Hours Ago" if not "5 Days Ago". I've noticed this with possibly the same disappointment that you, filly, have.

Perhaps not everyone's as "hardcore" as we are (I'm riding road in 19F weather here in NYC). I'd figure, though, that those sunny-clime RBRers would still be posting year round.

Glad I'm not the only one to observe this (and with a sigh).
Nige

·
25yr Houston-Austin MS150
207 Posts
filly said:
I think it's because the site is getting less and less relevant. Take a look at the thread where folks are supposed to recommend new products to add to the review database, and compare it to what's actually been added. Laughable. There's a request I made last July that hasn't been included yet. Right now, I just visit to socialize with y'all, because there's NOTHING new for me to learn in the reviews. How many different models of Look Keo pedals are out there? Five or six? Yet, there's only one review link.

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Maybe a shift in interest to old and slow

filly said:
There seems to be more interest in RetroClassic and in Commuting/Touring, and less posts about racing and components. As always, MB1 gets about 1000 hits when he posts a ride report.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts