Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 second place finishes. Andy's time trialing abilities are still way behind AC, although this year he was better. I would have loved to see Andy beat AC, but AC just seems a few notches better.

I am almost seeing remnants of Armstrong vs Ullrich.
Will Andy ever beat AC?

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
For Any to truly claim the Jan corwn, he will need to gain approximately 252 lbs. this winter, drop some E at a disco, and then get second. Until that transpires, he's really mor of a Ray P.

·
Still waiting......
1,321 Posts
Pablo said:
For Any to truly claim the Jan corwn, he will need to gain approximately 252 lbs. this winter, drop some E at a disco, and then get second. Until that transpires, he's really mor of a Ray P.
Doesn't he have to crash a car too?

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
godot said:
Doesn't he have to crash a car too?
. . . and get his ears pierced. :p

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
I think Andy's gotta win some stuff before he becomes anyone's Ullrich.

At this point, he's more like Contador's Joseba Beloki, isn't he?

That said, I imagine Andy S. will have a more distinguished career than Beloki and might actually win a grand tour or two, but he could just as easily slip back into the pack.

·
Registered
679 Posts
No way. There was no love-fest between Ullrich and Armstong, like there is between Andyberto.

Also, Ullrich's greatest enemy was often himself, with Bad Ullrich often winning out. Not something I see in A. Schleck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pablo said:
For Any to truly claim the Jan corwn, he will need to gain approximately 252 lbs. this winter.
I hear the beer gardens in Germany are great for such training...

Ullrich just makes it all look too easy.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Andy's time trialing abilities are still way behind AC?

·
wasssabi
2,081 Posts
Also, Andy seems to be too happy to come in second, like Ullrich.
No way would a guy like L A be so satisfied with being the "first loser" er second place.

·
Registered
348 Posts
oily666 said:
Not sure about way behind, but AC was the top dog last year and Andy hasn't attained that level. Maybe AC has slipped, but I think it was just a hiccup. Outside of the Lux TT championship has Andy ever finished in the top 10 of a TT?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oily666 said:
I wouldn't say they are that close. Alberto was a little off this year, but normally, he is better at time trials than Andy.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm pretty sure Ullrich felt some fondness towards Armstrong, even in the heat of the battle. I know he's said as much, at least.

I don't think Armstrong likes anybody.

·
Registered
64 Posts
txzen said:
I'm pretty sure Ullrich felt some fondness towards Armstrong, even in the heat of the battle. I know he's said as much, at least.

I don't think Armstrong likes anybody.
He likes his Mom. In fact he's dated her several times.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Jan was an amazing rider. He didn't cry or even bother apologizing for drugging it up at the clubs in the offseason (TAKE THAT BOONEN!). Then he jumped into the early races 10lbs overweight and still smoked everyone but Lance. That's natural talent.

Of course the commentary was just as amusing with the "Big German" pushing a "massive gear up the hill" and continually "calling down to the engine room for more power". But Phil, there is no more power.

·
Registered
291 Posts
sanrensho said:
^^^Awesome. It's time for an Ullrich retrospective appreciation thread.

The new top dogs are so...bland.
I miss the Jan blog.

The Basso's fear is smelling like cigarettes and back hair. No, wait. That's just the Basso.
"And lo, when the Jan passes by, there will be a mighty rumble, as though a thousand elephants were falling down a hill. And the sun will be blotted from the sky by the wings of a thousand ravens, and the hearts of men shall quail, and the hearts of women shall flutter (and then quail), and even the hearts of quail shall quail, and the souls of the weak shall be snuffed out like candles in the wailing wind that follows his passing. Then shall be the time of the Jan, when he rises from the earth and takes his two thrones, one for each thigh. And then the world shall weep."

1 - 20 of 32 Posts