Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide on a good triple for a titanium cross frame with drop bars.
My newbie assumptions are:
The Dura Ace 7803 seems to be old technology.
XTR or XT are geared too low? And require MTB shifters or bar end.
FSA has mediocre reliability.
Campagnolo seems overpriced.

Please set me straight.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
7800 series is still by my standards one of the best DA series ever.

7803 old technology? Even by today's standards a 7800/7803 series crankset is very light.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I'm pretty sure FSA makes one. There's nothing wrong with 105, Tiagra and Sora.

"The Dura Ace 7803 seems to be old technology."

That's hilarious. I don't think any company, including Shimano, ever exceeded 7800 for 10 speed "technology".

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"The Dura Ace 7803 seems to be old technology."

That's hilarious. I don't think any company, including Shimano, ever exceeded 7800 for 10 speed "technology".
I've read good stuff about the DA, but saw most of it was 4-5 years ago. Wondered why the DA triple hasn't been "updated" since.

Also forgot to mention SRAM. Comments?

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I've read good stuff about the DA, but saw most of it was 4-5 years ago. Wondered why the DA triple hasn't been "updated" since.

-Because, with compacts being so prevelent now, there's just not the demand enough for high end triples to make business sense. In other words people buying Dura Ace has very little overlap with people wanting triples.

-There's nothing wrong with SRAM per se but when it comes to front shifting Shimano has them beat.

In a nut shell: you won't find a better triple than DA 7803.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
-Because, with compacts being so prevelent now, there's just not the demand enough for high end triples to make business sense. In other words people buying Dura Ace has very little overlap with people wanting triples.
.....and "people wanting triples" is not to be confused with "people who could benefit from a triple" so don't get the idea I'm trying to imply a compact would be better. Perhaps it would, but if you think a triple is the better choice by all means stick with that choice. Not being the popular choice by no means makes it the wrong choice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
.....and "people wanting triples" is not to be confused with "people who could benefit from a triple" so don't get the idea I'm trying to imply a compact would be better. Perhaps it would, but if you think a triple is the better choice by all means stick with that choice. Not being the popular choice by no means makes it the wrong choice.
Thanks Jay,
I might not need a triple but my reason for wanting one is because I do ride in hills a fair amount and am hoping to get both top and bottom end gearing. At 57 yrs old I need granny gears for ascending like on my Trek Superfly 29er , but don't want to spin out at top end speeds (like I do my 29er). I'm assuming my new Ti frame with better/narrower wheels and drop bars will be faster than what I'm riding now too. Also, I tend to try keeping a constant cadence so assume a triple will give me more interstitial gears (20 vs. 30 total gears).
I'm not really worried about the additional weight of a triple but hope I don't regret that later on.
Using a compact is one option however. Perhaps I need to think a bit more about that.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I really like the triple crankset because you can use a tight cassette and get small steps between cogs.
Used to run a triple with 12-21 and loved it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've seen some sales on the Campy Athena triple and didn't think it was outrageously priced. If you hunt some, it's not that hard to find an Ultegra 6703 triple. Like others said, compacts killed the triple.

·
Registered
211 Posts
just in case you want to go lower, DA triple cranks have less than standard small chain ring bolt circle diameter. So do Ultegra triples after the 6600 series. As I recall, Ultegra 6603 and 6604 were the last with normal small chaingring/granny bcd. If you want smaller than 30 tooth granny, then you need 105 model or no later than 6603 Ultegra. The now hard to find 6603 and 6604 Ultegra triples are nearly impossible to find...that's because those who know triples know those are the last best solution to going smaller than 30. The issue with 105 triples is they come with 50 tooth big ring rather than 52. I think all I said is true.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks Jay,
I might not need a triple but my reason for wanting one is because I do ride in hills a fair amount and am hoping to get both top and bottom end gearing. At 57 yrs old I need granny gears for ascending
Using a compact is one option however.
I'm a relative nube (3 yrs), 57 yrs old, ride hills & mountains, weigh 163 lbs. skinny week legs, & have 50-34 X 11-28 & it works pretty good. I'm even able to do short 15-16% grades!

·
Registered
203 Posts

There's not much to say about SRAM and triples. They don't make triples in the road groups. They do make some nice long cage RDs that allow you to use a double with a wide range (e.g. 11-32) cassette, but you still aren't going to get the low gears or closer spacing you can get with a triple.

Plus I agree with Jay Strongbow that Shimano has better front shifting. I kind of prefer SRAM rear shifting though, especially with the aforementioned long cage RD (compared to Shimano drop levers with a mountain RD)

·
Registered
203 Posts
just in case you want to go lower, DA triple cranks have less than standard small chain ring bolt circle diameter. So do Ultegra triples after the 6600 series. As I recall, Ultegra 6603 and 6604 were the last with normal small chaingring/granny bcd. If you want smaller than 30 tooth granny, then you need 105 model or no later than 6603 Ultegra. The now hard to find 6603 and 6604 Ultegra triples are nearly impossible to find...that's because those who know triples know those are the last best solution to going smaller than 30. The issue with 105 triples is they come with 50 tooth big ring rather than 52. I think all I said is true.
If low gears are your thing, the 50 tooth big ring is a feature, not an issue. Having a smaller big ring allows you to put an even smaller granny ring (like a 28) on that crank and still stay within the range of the FD. I've done this with the Tiagra triple crank and it works well with 6603 levers. I've heard you can get away with a 26 too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It looks like I can get a new DA 7803 crankset with BB for around 250 USD. Some smooth talkers on this topic are quite convincing.
If that's a way to go, derailleurs and brifters choices will be my next challenge.
Looked at Campy Athena (as recommended), but not convinced...
Throw in the compact choice and Uncle Google continues to lend me a hand, along with you great friends!
Thanks so far.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It looks like I can get a new DA 7803 crankset with BB for around 250 USD. Some smooth talkers on this topic are quite convincing.
If that's a way to go, derailleurs and brifters choices will be my next challenge.
Looked at Campy Athena (as recommended), but not convinced...
Throw in the compact choice and Uncle Google continues to lend me a hand, along with you great friends!
Thanks so far.
I think the 7803 is one of the cranksets with a non-standard BCD for the granny ring (at least according to eflayer2's post #10 above). If going lower than 30t is important to you, you may want to make sure smaller rings are available for that model.

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
I'm running a Shimergo set up with a 9speed 105 triple and Campy Athena 11 shifters and I'm happy with the shifting... something to consider if you want the cables tucked away; otherwise, no reason to avoid the DA 7803. I can see where brifters are dated, but I have a hard time seeing where one crank makes a big difference over another unless you have a newer frame bb requirements.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote from Sheldon Brown on DA 7803...

"Unfortunately, the way Shimano chose to do this is rather wrong-headed and retrograde, resulting in a crankset that is even less versatile than the 130/74 "road" triples in the Ultegra, 105, Tiagra and Sora lines."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.