Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The caltrans page says 'no restriction', but the other page with the calendar of past years for all passes doesn't display any opening date. Just wanted to make sure - if it's open I'll go next week-end - doing the detour through Monitor pass makes it much longer. Thanks!

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Heading for Ebbetts tomorrow afternoon. Unfortunately too much going on to go down to Tioga or Sonora. I'm in pretty lousy condition this year with very little riding in so far so I'd probably collapse and die on Sonora anyway :).

· Registered
167 Posts
This is the guy who did it on a loaded bike

I think he said he was going to all the way to Las Vegas. His original plan was to go over Tioga. Quite a change in difficulty, from W side Tioga to W side Sonora. He did make it over the pass, and continued to Bridgeport.
(My bike only has mini-paniers attached to an ordinary rectangular bag on my rear rack. My travel bike also has very low gears.)

continuing up the West side climb

into the upper steep section

then gentle toward the top

East side road is not as well-known, but I think rather pretty in the springtime soon after the pass opens . . .

ski tracks on left side of photo from top of my East side descent

midway down East side

snow peak (with ski tracks if look closely)

almost down to Leavitt Meadows Pack Station

After that I just turned around and climbed back up the East side, with more time to savor those views.

I'll see if I get time to post some photos also from the (even more spectacular) West side descent last Wednesday.

Ken

· Registered
167 Posts
the West side

plunging down the upper steep section

pause to look back up -- sunshine welcome

crags on the north side of the road

looking back again

snow peak on the south side of the road

continuing down

still snow here surprisingly low for early June

coming to the lower steep section

down into it, with a car just below the notch

warning sign at bottom of lower steep at Kennedy Meadows

? Most exaggerated road steepness number in U.S.A. ?

Ken

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Nice Ken. Haven't made Sonora yet this year. Just the stuff around Markleeville. What amazed me the most was the shear amount of water running off from the rapidly melting snow. I think every creek around was a brown raging torrent.

· Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Ken Roberts said:
? Most exaggerated road steepness number in U.S.A. ?
Could be! I think that 26% grade, and the similar number on Highway 4, must have been measured over a one yard distance on the inside of a steep switch-back!

Awesome pictures - many thanks for posting.

· Registered
167 Posts
Yes the top of the East side is quite a plunge. I liked the east side a lot: more variety, less slogging.

ukbloke said:
I think that 26% grade, and the similar number on Highway 4, must have been measured over a one yard distance on the inside of a steep switch-back!
I once had a similar theory of that measurement.

Having seen lots of % grade signs in different U.S. states and European countries, my conclusion is that highway departments everywhere deliberately exaggerate. For reasons that make sense to them. (How many truck or car drivers ever complain because a road was less steep than they expected?)

But the signs for Sonora Pass have taken exaggeration to a level beyond.

Ken

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.