Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've riden on Speedplay X/2 pedals for 15 or so years. I love them. But, and there's always a but, I'm replacing the cleats every six months when I used to replace them every three years or so. The metal bars in the cleats are breaking on me.

To answer the questions:

1. I have not gained weight.
2. My riding style/mileage hasn't increased, it's probably gone down.
3. I don't walk in my cleats any more than I used to (minimally).
4. I've replaced the pedals once (about five years ago).
5. Same bike frame for past 15 years, and except for periodic wheel upgrades, same basic componentry.

The only thing I can think of is Speedplay is using cheaper metal for their cleats.

At any rate, If I can't get this figured out, I'm looking at switching pedal systems.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I think so. I don't know the proper name, but the two metal bars in the cleats that clip to the pedals, fore and aft. One will snap in half after about six months, so the contact is not as positive. I could probably lubricate them more often, riding less in foul weather than when I was a little younger. Perhaps the lubrication is the thing?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Curiously, it usually happens with the right foot first, even though I usually unclip the left at stops. The shoes are the same Sidi Genius ones I've had for years. But, they're old, and I wonder if you might be on to something migen21. Perhaps the sole has distorted with time so the cleats don't sit as flush as they used to. It might be my imagination, but perhaps the float I enjoyed when the shoes were young has diminished as the shoe aged. I've been looking for an excuse to buy new shoes. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts