Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a loose spoke on two wheels, I've retentioned them and trued the wheels, only to have them slip loose. Do I need to relpace the nipples/spokes, or is spoke prep the answer?

Thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
AlexCad5 said:
I've got a loose spoke on two wheels, I've retentioned them and trued the wheels, only to have them slip loose. Do I need to relpace the nipples/spokes, or is spoke prep the answer?

Thanks
What tension did you do them to up and what spoke count wheels are we looking at? Short answer no.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It sounds like you should tension all of your spokes. If there's enough tension (and assuming your rims aren't horribly bent) then it shouldn't be possible for the wheel to be true and have any loose spokes at the same time. Some spokes will have lower and higher tension, but none will be loose. With appropriate tension, the spokes won't come loose nearly as easily.

For the wheels I've built I've always used grease instead of spoke prep, and they've never had a spoke come loose. When I had a bike with cheap factory-built wheels, on the other hand, I had spokes come almost completely unthreaded by themselves. Once I learned that I had to tighten up all the spokes, the problem stopped.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
When spokes go loose, it usually means too little tension.
I usually use a little oil on the threads (to allow proper tensioning) when I build wheels, otherwise, friction will give you a false feeling of the proper tension.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.