Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm building up a new frame w/ sram red 22 speed components and I was wondering if the mavic kyserium elite sl wheels free hub body is compatible or should I go ahead and order some new wheels ASAP. I tried doing a little research online but compatibility was mostly talking about shimano/sram derailleurs, chains and shifters. Any info is appreciated. (I recall hearing that it wasn't compatible but I wanted to double check). Thanks

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
^ perhaps you should have done 10 seconds of internet searching then..... :D

Glory Cycles Product Reviews: Converting to Shimano 11 Some Considertations

Mavic wheels since 2001 are able to lose the spacer and accept the 11 Speed Shimano cassette. No change to 2013 Mavic wheels

I have a set of mavic kyserium elite wheels and the Sram 11-speed fits without the spacer as indicated. I was also able to have my Reynolds Assault converted with a kit from Reynolds, no dishing need

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
FWIW: I have a defunct (cracked rim) Mavic rear from 2000 or 2001 and it has a spacer that goes behind the 9/10 speed cassette. That makes the hub 11 sp compatible?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,446 Posts
After 5 seconds of Internet searching (Google: sram red 22 freehub; answer in very first hit). No.

SRAM 22 Unveiled: All New RED, Force 11-Speed Road Groups ? Tech, Weights & First Rides!

"Both will fit on any 11-speed compatible hub/freehub body, so they’ll work on any wheel that fits Shimano’s 11-speed cassettes. They will not fit on 10-speed hubs/freehub".
You should really only offer advice when you know what you're talking about. Mavic free hubs have been compatible w/ 11spd Shimano/SRAM cassettes all along. All one has to do is remove the Mavic spacer that has been required w/ Shimano and SRAM 10spd cassettes and install the new 11spd cassette.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
You should really only offer advice when you know what you're talking about. Mavic free hubs have been compatible w/ 11spd Shimano/SRAM cassettes all along. All one has to do is remove the Mavic spacer that has been required w/ Shimano and SRAM 10spd cassettes and install the new 11spd cassette.
I think the post after mine caught that - without being an arse about it. Although, I know you enjoy piling on. I did forget about the mavic spacer. My bad.

T2K in 6XC; XDM 5.25; USST 10/22 w/KIDD, VQ bolt and CF barrel - mine are cooler

·
15,446 Posts
I think the post after mine caught that - without being an arse about it. Although, I know you enjoy piling on. I did forget about the mavic spacer. My bad.

T2K in 6XC
Don't get too worked up about it, I'm like that to lots of people. I just complimented your advice in another thread.

And you were quite snippy yourself in post # 2 of this thread.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
sweet! so you're saying I didn't need to buy new wheels then? Doh! thanks a lot Crit Boy! asdfjk;djf;akdj!

Edit:
I bought these (carbon 50mm wheel road bike 700c clincher Light-Bicycle) last night before reading all of your replies so it's partially my fault. I am trying to see if they'll cancel the order now but if they won't, I guess I'll just use them for racing only. So it's a win-win! :)

·
15,446 Posts

T2K in 6XC; XDM 5.25; USST 10/22 w/KIDD, VQ bolt and CF barrel - mine are cooler
Seriously...you're bragging that your guns are 'cooler' than mine? Like anyone cares?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts