Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are snapping chains in all kinds of races and gakking up riders.

So much for advancing technology and reliability.

Daniel Navarro's broken chain was the second reported in a week, and it appears both were 10-speed models from SRAM. Navarro's Astana team uses SRAM components, as does Saxo Bank, which saw Fabian Cancellara break his chain on one of the Tour of Flanders' short, steep hills. According to cyclingnews.com, the day after Cancellara's mishap Saxo Bank mechanics were seen installing Dura-Ace chains on all the bikes.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i'd bet user error.

·
xploshin
530 Posts
Blue CheeseHead said:
As they say, it is only as good as it's weakest link. (I know, that's bad)
Oh jeez.

I remember reading that a lot of teams/people that use SRAM Red use the Dura Ace chain.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I can't believe you're knocking the whole SRAM group because of a CHAIN. There are pros out there that like the DuraAce chain better and run that instead of the SRAM chain. But have you tried any of their components??

Sometimes carbon fiber parts break. Must mean the material sucks. :rolleyes:

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
i think it's pretty obvious from the OP's comments that he's never worked for a pro team. i have, and it's pretty amazing what they put equipment through. i pretty much agree w/ the 'user error' comment, many pro riders either don't know how to shift, or don't care. it can be totally dependent on the situation...maybe they have to throw down a shift over 3 cogs while standing up and the rider doesn't let up the power for the shifts...you never know. some of them will readily admit to messing up a shift when they break a chain, some won't. it really shouldn't be a reflection on the actual pieces. if track racers can break izumi 1/8" chains doing standing starts...road racers will be breaking 3/32" road chains. on a side note, sram road chains are made in the same factory that makes campy chains. obviously they're not the same, but they're not that different either.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
I actually like the sram chains. I've run them for years on 9 speed and 10 speed stuff. I've never had a problem...unlike a couple Shimano chains I had. However I'm not running the uber light high end stuff either like the PC1090 or Dura Ace. I usually go a level down (PC1070) and save a few bucks. But I've been as heavy as 220 lbs in the past and done centuries over mountains and they've always held up.

One of my riding buddies is about 230 lbs and he demolishes KMC and Dura Ace chains last year. I'm not sure what he's running this year.

·
Registered
185 Posts
teoteoteo said:
Agreed, Shimano 9 speed chains are the epitome of suckness on an MTB
wow, complete opposite here. i've never (knock on wood) broken a shimano chain in my 20 years of riding but have broken sram chains.

i can't really comment on the quality of sram parts versus shimano parts as a whole. my only experience with sram is the grip shift shifters (think they are better and more durable than rapidfire), sram chains (don't care for them at all) and sram cassattes (think they are as good as shimano, and much cheaper).

·
Registered
453 Posts
The amount of blatant user error I've seen is astonishing. Fourth lap around the race course and half the peleton is still grinding shifts on the plainly visible steep hill while cranking away at full force. Group rides with people constantly shifting to big-small (supposedly not an error with 10 speed chains but your certainly inflicting more wear and tear). Mountain biking - forget it, but that's more acceptable given the terrain.

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
Once again...more proof that pro riding has nothing to do with the rest of us. Let's wait for some chain-reliability testimony from the guys who work in shops and fix problems all day long; if those guys start saying SRAM 10sp chains are error-prone then I'll start listening.

For the record, on my 9sp bike I've been using a brand called ConneX that I've never seen in the States for years without any trouble. One day I asked the LBS guy where it came from and he said it's a chain made by SRAM (pronounced 'shramme' in French, which I just can't get enough of) and marketed under several different brand names in Europe. My new 10sp bike came with an Ultegra chain, which is about to expire and has put up with my most aggressive spring in years without a problem...but chains SHOULD be this reliable, right? Properly cleaned and lubed chains on road bikes ridden by someone with even a slight consideration for the health of the chain should almost never break...

...which takes us back to why pros are bad role models: most of them don't have any consideration for their equipment because they don't pay for it and they usually don't have to deal with the consequences of fixing it when it breaks. For me, the 2-4 chains a year I wear out under normal circumstances is already too much dough...

·
OUTLAW BIKER
463 Posts
I've worked on both groups, Dura Ace and SRAM and I like the Dura Ace much more. IMHO, the DA was of a higher quaility. I've personally used DA for many many years and miles with out any failures.

·
Road & Trail Warrior
1,858 Posts
golfernut78 said:
wow, complete opposite here. i've never (knock on wood) broken a shimano chain in my 20 years of riding but have broken sram chains.

i can't really comment on the quality of sram parts versus shimano parts as a whole. my only experience with sram is the grip shift shifters (think they are better and more durable than rapidfire), sram chains (don't care for them at all) and sram cassattes (think they are as good as shimano, and much cheaper).
Same here bro. I use an XT 9 spd on my MTB. I'm 180 lbs and stand a lot on climbs. No broken shimano chains here.:aureola:

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
tconrady said:
I actually like the sram chains. I've run them for years on 9 speed and 10 speed stuff. I've never had a problem...unlike a couple Shimano chains I had. However I'm not running the uber light high end stuff either like the PC1090 or Dura Ace. I usually go a level down (PC1070) and save a few bucks. But I've been as heavy as 220 lbs in the past and done centuries over mountains and they've always held up.

One of my riding buddies is about 230 lbs and he demolishes KMC and Dura Ace chains last year. I'm not sure what he's running this year.
Why do you hate Shimano? :D

Seriously though, I also think the pros use Shimano chains because of the noise that Red has with the cassette and chain vs. Dura Ace 7800.

But, the mechanics could have also reused the power links when they are only meant for one use according to SRAM.

That said, I won't deny that there are a fair amount of SRAM chains breaking that we've heard of this year vs. other chains in the same time frame. Maybe SRAM would start looking into this after all. This could be their weak link. Or not.

Let's see how many more cases develop (assuming Saxo Bank and Astana now don't run the Dura Ace chains instead).

Oh I think my LBS has dealt with a couple of broken Red chains this year IIRC.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts