Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is swallowing bubble gum really bad? Anyone really know?

Sorry for the less than intellectually stimulating post. Hmm, maybe a job for Mythbusters!
 

·
BS the DC
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
Bfgsr

Like water, extreme quantities can be fatal. I don't believe an occasional piece of swallowed gum poses any serious health risk. I did a quick Medline search and found no extensive research on the subject. Maybe we can start a charity ride to raise funds to support research. I'll get started on the T-shirts. Bicyclists For Gum Swallower Research
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
t-shirt idea?

bsdc said:
Like water, extreme quantities can be fatal. I don't believe an occasional piece of swallowed gum poses any serious health risk. I did a quick Medline search and found no extensive research on the subject. Maybe we can start a charity ride to raise funds to support research. I'll get started on the T-shirts. Bicyclists For Gum Swallower Research
I can just see the slogan on the t-shirt: "Do You Swallow?" ;-)
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,421 Posts
Swallowing large quanties of bubble gum can cause

Embarrassment if you have gas problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,524 Posts
Is it digestable?

If it were, it seems that you wouldn't recognize it once you were done with it. If not, then you ought to be able to recognize it after it made it's way through...

This is way more fun than politics & religion...
 

·
O2bfasterstrongerbetter
Joined
·
844 Posts
DougSloan said:
Hmm, maybe a job for Mythbusters!
I believe they already looked at it... the old myth that it sits in your stomach for 10 years. Anyway, I saw some show on TV where they looked at a bunch of urban legends/myths and debunked them. That was one of them. They ha da bunch of Gastrointerologists from Harvard and stuff who said it was impossble for anything to stay in your stomach for that long. If the stomach can't digest something in a certain amount of time it passes into the intestines and is "ejected". They asked about the potential to get gummed up in the linging of the intestines and the Docs all said "no way". The lining of your bowels are completely recycled on a regular basis as part of your digestive system or something like that so there is nothing for anything to "stick to".

Clearly I'm no doc... but tnat was the gist of it.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Jdub said:
I believe they already looked at it... the old myth that it sits in your stomach for 10 years. Anyway, I saw some show on TV where they looked at a bunch of urban legends/myths and debunked them. That was one of them. They ha da bunch of Gastrointerologists from Harvard and stuff who said it was impossble for anything to stay in your stomach for that long. If the stomach can't digest something in a certain amount of time it passes into the intestines and is "ejected". They asked about the potential to get gummed up in the linging of the intestines and the Docs all said "no way". The lining of your bowels are completely recycled on a regular basis as part of your digestive system or something like that so there is nothing for anything to "stick to".

Clearly I'm no doc... but tnat was the gist of it.
So it's also a lie when vegetarians claim that meat eaters have all kinds of undigested meat byproducts in their colons?
 

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
Joined
·
7,786 Posts
Jdub said:
I believe they already looked at it... the old myth that it sits in your stomach for 10 years. Anyway, I saw some show on TV where they looked at a bunch of urban legends/myths and debunked them. That was one of them. They ha da bunch of Gastrointerologists from Harvard and stuff who said it was impossble for anything to stay in your stomach for that long. If the stomach can't digest something in a certain amount of time it passes into the intestines and is "ejected". They asked about the potential to get gummed up in the linging of the intestines and the Docs all said "no way". The lining of your bowels are completely recycled on a regular basis as part of your digestive system or something like that so there is nothing for anything to "stick to".

Clearly I'm no doc... but tnat was the gist of it.
Pretty much. Think of it this way... if you swallow a hard object (like... say... the ball portion of your barbell tongue piercing), does it sit in your stomach for years or does it pass through your digestive system and land in your poop? The answer is... and you know this if you've ever eaten a large amount of corn... that it passes through your digestive system. Why should bubblegum be any different?

And yes, this barbell thing happened to a friend of a friend of a friend in college. I have no idea if he put it back in his mouth or not... but gawd, I hope not.
 

·
In need of sock puppet
Joined
·
9,420 Posts
Sorta related, sorta not...

I used to attend monthly meetings of the Massachusetts Herpetological Society, We had a spate of riveting speakers such as veterenarians, breeders, researchers and a very cool show and tell.

Once a vet from Yale came up and presented slides of very odd herp related emergencies.

A little back story- folks with large, museum quality snakes don't generally feed their snakes live food. A pissed off live rat, grabbed tail first by a constrictor can chew the eye off the snake before his last journey south. So generally snake owners feed frozen prey, that has been thawed and warmed. Typical warmning technique? A heating pad. They thaw the rat nicely, get it to normal live temp and are cheap to buy/easy to find. A well adapted captive snake will readily chow down a warm dead rat dangled in front of it.

Back to the vet's slides. He told the tale of a late night emergency call from a collector with an 8 foot anaconda. The owner had been thawing and feeding rats with a heating pad, and had left the pad plugged in, still warm, in the snakes cage while he left to, I don't know, maybe wring his hands and twirl his handlebar moustach like Snidely Whiplash, anyway... the owner left the snake with the heating pad. The heating pad had a rat-like aroma to it, was warm and had a white color and tail, just like the rats it had been consuming for many years gone by. So it ate the heating pad.

The owner came back to find his pride and joy, with an electrical plug hanging out it's mouth still plugged in. The snake was tugging at the plug, to free it. The freaked out owner unplugged the cord and called our fearless herp vet. The vet, in an unheard of fashion, did a night call to the office. The owner met the vet at his office with anaconda in tow. They xrayed the beast and sure enough the pad was sitting there, in the beast's belly, beside two big fat rats.

Surgery wasn't a solution, it would've likely killed the snake, and neither owner nor vet was brave enough to reach into the snake's mouth to try and pull the pad out. Nor was going in the other end an option.

So the vet decided to grease this squeaky wheel so to speak, and gave the snake a megadose of castor oil to help move things in the "right" direction. The snake sat for a couple of hours in it's current state before explosively relieving itself. Out came a quart of oil, melted rats, and even more hideous, a thoroughly dissolved heating pad.

All this would have had the stink of urban legend, except that the smart and fast thinking vet took pictures at each step of the way. From anaconda with a plug in it's mouth, to the xray, to the mass blob of excrement, to detail shots of the melted heating pad controller. All were presented in full color, two story tall slides.

The herp geeks in attendance were greatly pleased.

My takeaway point? Swallow away. There's always castor oil.
 

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
Joined
·
7,786 Posts
thinkcooper said:
The snake sat for a couple of hours in it's current state before explosively relieving itself. Out came a quart of oil, melted rats, and even more hideous, a thoroughly dissolved heating pad.
That is so, SO gross... but, thank you.
 

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
Joined
·
7,786 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
So it's also a lie when vegetarians claim that meat eaters have all kinds of undigested meat byproducts in their colons?
Yep. That's a standard militant vegan/vegetarian response to meat eaters.

I have nothing against anyone regardless of what diet they choose to eat, but these sort of people give vegans/vegetarians a bad name.

You might have undigested crap in your colon, but well... then you crap it out. That points to nothing other than you didn't need to eat the stuff in the first place. Most meat-eaters get an enormous amount of protein and most of it goes well, unused, by the body.
 

·
A Canadian in Sweden
Joined
·
6,130 Posts
vonteity said:
Yep. That's a standard militant vegan/vegetarian response to meat eaters.

I have nothing against anyone regardless of what diet they choose to eat, but these sort of people give vegans/vegetarians a bad name.

You might have undigested crap in your colon, but well... then you crap it out. That points to nothing other than you didn't need to eat the stuff in the first place. Most meat-eaters get an enormous amount of protein and most of it goes well, unused, by the body.
LOL! Nothing like taking a very sensitive subject and adding a touch of Seinfeld to it.
:p
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
gum

myth was on 20/20 Food Myth show a week or so ago. Myth, BS yes like the Vegan Stuck Food Myth, which is currently being hyped by the colonic industry.

all BS
 

·
Government Mule
Joined
·
1,326 Posts
A friend of mine went home after a few drinks on payday and his wife started badgering him about wasting money at the bar. He got mad and pulled out a wad of money and threw it on the floor and this small dog they had swallowed a 20 dollar bill. He thought he would have the vet cut the dog open (not a real animal lover) and get his money back. Anyway the vet tells him it won't be necessary and he gives the dog some medicine and warns him to keep a close eye on the dog, because in about 45 minutes he will start crapping and you will probably get your money back. After he got back home the argument with the wife started again and he forgot about the dog. All of a sudden the dog crapped all over the living room making the biggest mess he had ever seen.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
12345
 

·
My back hurts
Joined
·
4,862 Posts
My friend Ron swallowed a nickel when he was a kid. Lois, his mom, took him to the doc. The doc told Lois to keep an eye on him to make sure he didn't get sick and to dice up his turds until she found the nickel. About two days later, she found the nickel in one of his turds. Ain't moms great?
 

·
In need of sock puppet
Joined
·
9,420 Posts
mickey-mac said:
My friend Ron swallowed a nickel when he was a kid. Lois, his mom, took him to the doc. The doc told Lois to keep an eye on him to make sure he didn't get sick and to dice up his turds until she found the nickel. About two days later, she found the nickel in one of his turds. Ain't moms great?
If "I" had a nickle for every time my mom went through my sh1t when I was a kid, I'd be a rich man today.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top