Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
Holee!!

Wow did that thing actually win anything? Seems like one wack-a-doo design concept. I'm sort of amazed it made it off the drawing table. What's the idea behind this anyway? to streamline the air tubulance around the pedals and feet?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Sintesi said:
Wow did that thing actually win anything? Seems like one wack-a-doo design concept. I'm sort of amazed it made it off the drawing table. What's the idea behind this anyway? to streamline the air tubulance around the pedals and feet?
Didn't you notice the polka-dot jersey? It's a climbing bike. The bulbous front wheel contains helium to make the front end of the bike lighter and help to pull the bike up the hill.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sintesi said:

... the standard model favors a disc wheel with a lenticular shape to smooth out the air flow, but this design is also a response to the restrictions imposed on traditional dropout spacings.. so I could imagine that at speed, you could see improved aerodynamics as air moved over this spinning surface... but I suspect that it would require sustained high speed to overcome a weight penalty... Don't know the history of the wheel.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Akirasho said:
... the standard model favors a disc wheel with a lenticular shape to smooth out the air flow, but this design is also a response to the restrictions imposed on traditional dropout spacings.. so I could imagine that at speed, you could see improved aerodynamics as air moved over this spinning surface... but I suspect that it would require sustained high speed to overcome a weight penalty... Don't know the history of the wheel.

Looks to me like it could be a fairing for the crank arms/pedals. It might work. Interesting.

·
Administrator
12,940 Posts
from the site:

Into this new world, Italian bike maker Battaglin rolled out a radical time trial bike for the prologue of the 1985 Giro d'Italia. Not only did it have an aerodynamic, monocoque frame, but its super-wide, bulbous front wheel acted as a fairing to shield the rider's feet from the wind. That rider was Roberto Visintini and he'd been going three seconds per kilometre faster in training on the new bike. Giovanni Battaglin tells the tale of what happened next.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts