Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2008 Record 10 speed group that is in like new condition with 300 miles on it. I am about to build up a new bike using this group, but toying with the idea of selling it on ebay and getting the new Record 11 speed instead.

For those of you who have ridden both, is it worth the upgrade? I estimate I will have to shell out about 1,000 to upgrade depending on what I get for my 10 speed stuff. I suppose there is also the option of upgrading the shifters, cassette, chain, rear D, and front chainrings? I assume the front D, and crank arms and brakes would be the same as 11 speed. This option seems like a big pain and probably wouldn't be any cheaper...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Depends...

I had 2 bikes w/10 speed Record that I coverted to 11. It should not cost you that much if you buy the 11 speed stuff from the UK. If you are not comfortable w/buying from the UK stay w/the 10 speed.

Also, your feedback strength/rating on ebay is critical to the $ you get for the 10 speed components. I kept my 2008 brakes on both bikes, and used my 2008 10 speed crank on
one of the bikes. So far there is no noticeable difference to me running the 10 speed crank vs. the 11 speed.

One of my bikes has full SR w/a chorus cassette. The other has a mix of Chorus and Record. Both are = in performance. I would take 11 speed Chorus over 10 speed Record.

Downside is the chain tool, you MUST use the 11 speed Campy tool. You can get that in the UK for $135-$150 US$.

I've ridden various 8/9/10 speed versions of Campy for over 20 years, the 11 speed is IMO the best functioning and feeling products they have ever had. As it should be! You do not need to go with the Super Record, the Chorus is great.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have 08 chorus but my back derailleur got banged pretty bad over the years. Can I upgrade (for now) just the back derailleur with Chorus 11 and use as ten speed until I can upgrade front and levers ? Will the chorus 11 beack derailleur function with 10 components ?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
KennyG said:
I currently have a 2008 Record 10 speed group that is in like new condition with 300 miles on it. I am about to build up a new bike using this group, but toying with the idea of selling it on ebay and getting the new Record 11 speed instead.

For those of you who have ridden both, is it worth the upgrade? I estimate I will have to shell out about 1,000 to upgrade depending on what I get for my 10 speed stuff. I suppose there is also the option of upgrading the shifters, cassette, chain, rear D, and front chainrings? I assume the front D, and crank arms and brakes would be the same as 11 speed. This option seems like a big pain and probably wouldn't be any cheaper...
IMO. it's absolutely worth it....if you are a serious racer. Otherwise frankly I just don't get it. For the extra gear? To save weight? For the ergonomics?. To know you have the latest and greatest? I ride 8, 9 and 10 speed, and as long as I have the right descending and climbing gears for the ride, I quickly adjust to the gears that I have. I know that YMMV, but I don't get spending money for what to me is such marginal improvement.

b21

·
Registered
377 Posts
I got the 11 because I had a new frame and was not swapping from another bike. I really love the 11, and have absolutely zero complaints, but I don't know if it's worth it if you already have a practically unused 10 speed group.

·
Registered
505 Posts
how is it that being a 'serious racer' warrants another gear?

atmo, 8s was plenty. if you have kit that works, 'upgrading' to 11s just tells me you have more money than brains. now, if you've got a new frame or worn out ****, maybe. myself, i'd still choose discount 10s.

however, having had my hands on the new (10s) centaur levers, i like the ergonomics. i may switch a bike or two to the '09 10s centaur ergos just for that. but absolutely no ****ing way i'm going for cassette/chain/derailleur/levers just to add a gear.

i mean, please...

·
Registered
913 Posts
I somewhat agree w/ dookie. Even if the 11speed shifts better, what you have is still top-shelf and for all practicle purposes: new. Your not gonna wish you had a different/better shifting system if what your currently using is Record.

If ergonomics are a cosideration too, get 09 Centaur shifters. I have 07 Centaur & switched my levers to the 09 setup and the way the hoods feel in the hand are simply undescribable. If you do want to add little bling you could get them w/ carbon levers.

If you don't mind dealing w/ UK distributors, you can save yourself well over 50%. I got my alloy 09 Centaur levers for under $150USD from totalcycling.com. I'm currently addicted to probikekit.com which has the Carbon Centaurs listed under $200SUSD (btw that's WITH shipping).

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
My ten speed record stuff was six years old and not too pretty anymore. It still worked great, but I wanted to put new stuff on the Pegoretti. I went with chorus FD, RD, and shifters and a Record crankset. I kept my Mavic SSC brakes since they are the greatest brakes ever made.

The 11 shifts better, the action is lighter and has worked perfectly so far with no further adjustments. The 12-27 cassette is a nice addition and the chain install wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. The tool is really expensive and necessary. Hopefully wipperman or Sram come out with a 11 speed chain or at least market a link.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Almost the sme exact dilemma for me...

except that mine is still new, in the box. I bought it for my custom frame that I've been waiting on for 6 months. Then I got a Colnago Ext C a month after I purchased the custom and R10 group. The dilemma for me is to stay with 10 and buy another R10 set for the XC or sell my current R10 and buy 2 11 groups- 1 R11 and 1 C11 group. I am leaning toward selling the R10 if I can get close to what I paid for it. If not I may just keep it for the custom and still get R11 for the XC. Or keep and hold to sell in the future a NOS R10 and get 2 11 spd groups. What to do what to do????

·
dropped!
485 Posts
does anyone know if the groups are the same quality-wise? it seems as if centaur has been moved down a notch in quality (witness the cassette with it's lack of alum. bracket to hold the final 3 gears) .

i feel like chorus us no longer as quality as chorus once was not that super-record is top dog. of course, i'm just guessing here- i could be way off base.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
r_mutt said:
does anyone know if the groups are the same quality-wise? it seems as if centaur has been moved down a notch in quality (witness the cassette with it's lack of alum. bracket to hold the final 3 gears) .

i feel like chorus us no longer as quality as chorus once was not that super-record is top dog. of course, i'm just guessing here- i could be way off base.
To piggy-back on that question, what is the difference between Record 11 and Super Record 11? Is regular Record now the level that Chorus used to be?

·
Blah, Blah, Blah
598 Posts
Short answer. No, it isn't worth it.
The serious racer comment is way off base, if you're a serious racer, you'd be racing the record 10 you have as it is already a sunk cost to you. Otherwise you'd just go with 2009 centaur because it is available for under $700 if you shop it out in the UK.
What is 1 more gear going to get you? You're stuck for the time being with a proprietary chain and chain tool. Stay with 10 speed and you can use, Connex, Campy, KMC, Shimano, etc.
The only lightening you would see is your bank account/wallet.
My chorus groups is now 4 years old, I rebuilt the rear shifter this winter for a whopping $50 and it feels good as new.
I like others have commented already may upgrade the shifters to Centaur before year end, but otherwise, the 11th cog is not a justifiable cost increase.
If you feel the neccesity to spend that $1,000 on bike parts, get yourself some spanky wheels or even a second bike for riding in crappy conditions.
People will tell you it is worth it, but if you really really really sit down and think about it, what sort of ROI are you going to get? You've got a beautiful group now and at 300 miles it should function absolutely wonderful. Keep it, kill it over the next few years and then you will probably think about upgrading.
I'm also of the opnion that you should never ever buy the first generation of anything. You already know that they are going to "improve" something for 2010. Plus it gives them some time to work out any potential bugs.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
-The serious racer comment is way off base, if you're a serious racer, you'd be racing the record 10 you have as it is already a sunk cost to you-

well it was kind of a mistype, I do not disagree with you, I should have said "professional racer". I clearly question the need to do anything when one has Record 10-I love my DA 8 after all.

b21

·
Registered
313 Posts
r_mutt said:

i feel like chorus us no longer as quality as chorus once was not that super-record is top dog. of course, I'm just guessing here- i could be way off base.

If you go and look at the Campy spare parts section where it shows the exploded mechanical views you can see the parts are identical in all the upper groups. There may be a few bits here and there, but the "meat and potatoes" of the top 3 functioning groups are the same.

Even Centaur has identical parts in the Ultra levers except for the 10 speed ratchet. The Centaur does have a different drivetrain, but the quality is still excellent.

That is where I go to decide what is real over marketing and bling.:thumbsup:

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
What is worth??? Is it worth it to buy a Colnago Extreme Power to replace a C-40? All we really need is a steel frame and fork with a Veloce group and 3X32 wheels. Anything else isn't "worth" it. In the real world, there are people who want to have nice components and bikes even if it won't make them faster or better looking.

·
Registered
313 Posts
KennyG said:

Most of us are being like your parents and looking out for your practical interests, not the emotional factor. 300 miles on Record isn't even close to being broke in. That is the first two days of racing in the Tour with a group that can last for thousands of miles before minimal maintenance is required.:p

If I were you, I would not upgrade (not that you would be really upgrading) unless you absolutely love the new levers and had to have them. I would wait at least until the chain issue was addressed by aftermarket links, etc.

I'm still on turn of the century 9 speed Chorus and thinking of going new, but decided on the Centaur Alloy as I really don't need 11 cogs...or even need 10 for that matter.:D I think the chain issue and the tool has played a role for my decision, and if I had your group, there wouldn't be any decision.:thumbsup:

·
Squalor
239 Posts
I've got the 11. I've ridden the 10.

Not worth the "upgrade". If replacing get the 11 because it's out.

You can ride mine sometime and decide for yourself if you want (and ride a 59cm bike).

LP (stuck inside b/c it's raining....)

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
My LBS had the Record 11 and I really like the feel on new shifter, specially the brake lever you can tab the mid section without apply any force +1. I'm currently running Record 10 spd and in the process to convert to SR11 ( order placed and wait for shipment to arrive ).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.