Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
In Blue America
436 Posts
The new American Dream is to appear on a reality tv show.
Home be damned, fame takes care of all of that.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
i thought it was to be a champion of ignorance with a trophy wife who is 100% hotter than she is smart.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
I think it's kinda cool how quickly my fellow 'Mericans have embraced the idea of saving and paying with cash...

Sucks for the economy right now as everyone's switching over from 5k on the cards to 10k in the bank, but still, it's a good adjustment.

Our 30 year mortgage will take us 15 years or so to pay off. Sadly, with one bathroom we may need to move sooner than that, but figure my grandparents raised 3 kids in a house the exact same size as mine, and we only have one kid, maybe we can forgo a second bathroom for a little more piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
We like the tax deduction that comes with a mortgage. Plus right now our money earns more than the interest rate on the mortgage.

No reason at all to pay the thing off near as I can see.

Still we keep a close eye on our finances in case anything changes.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
MB1 said:
We like the tax deduction that comes with a mortgage. Plus right now our money earns more than the interest rate on the mortgage.
this - and if i sell, i have plenty of equity in the place.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
We own our house outright, but our true dream is to be done with work by 40. I don't know if it can be done or not, but might be close. My wife and kiddo are so great I hate not having more time to do family oriented stuff. When I leave in the morning, they are both asleep and when I get back in the evening, my kiddo is up for an hour and off to bed. My dream is to be able to be home all the time with them....

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
My Own Private Idaho said:
That's my goal. Ten years from now it should be a reality.
8 for me....right about the time my youngest gets out of high school we should be free and clear.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
wooglin said:
What was the old American dream?
Hookers and blow for everyone?

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Everyday I wake up to the same reality of how dumb I was.

Old house would have been paid off by now. New house was bought on the downside of the crash but even still has fallen to 150,000 less than it's original value.

Double the size and got my wife her paint studio and me my hobbie studio, but still, I try not to cry.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Everyday I wake up to the same reality of how dumb I was.

Old house would have been paid off by now. New house was bought on the downside of the crash but even still has fallen to 150,000 less than it's original value.

Double the size and got my wife her paint studio and me my hobbie studio, but still, I try not to cry.
We thought about getting a bigger place a while back, but when I did the math that killed the idea for good.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Mortgage ?

In Canada you cannot deduct anything for a mortgage so we try to get rid of them as quickly as we can. They are a lot harder to obtain than an American one , so our default rate is much lower. I haven't had one for 15 yrs but both my daughters just took them out in July . The rate is 3.90% for 5 yrs on a 30 yr mortgage

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
ARP said:
I mean no mortgage, you only owe taxes and any renovations you want to do?
Not the new American dream. Dave Ramsey's been preaching that for over 15 years.

·
9,790 Posts
I have that dream. House is paid for. Has been since 1958.
Property taxes are currently about $200/year.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
My dream is to find an affordable apartment.

joe

1 - 20 of 53 Posts