Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post.
I have been looking for a custom wheel set for a while now. I was talking to wheel builder in my area who suggested a White Industries and Pacenti rim combo.

I also talked to a new company called Alto about their 26mm alloy. I talked to Bobby at Alto who told me their rim and hub were designed to work together.

When I talked to the builder about this he looked at Alto's website and told me that Alto was using the Pacenti rim.

I asked Bobby if he was using the Pacenti rim and he said no, but that the rims are made in the same factory and so the factory may be selling the rim to multiple places.
So, can anybody order that rim from the factory. Is it a generic rim that Pacenti is putting his name on.

Sorry if any of this have been discussed.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I did what checking I could in a short time. There certainly is a strong resemblance to first generation Pacenti. As in identical dimensions, and apparently identical profile.

Pacenti, original:

Line Circle Diagram Drawing Line art

Alto:

Text Line Font Colorfulness Parallel

Text Line Parallel Diagram Circle

However V2 Pacenti is very different:

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Given that there were a few reports of problems with cracks at the rim on the DS of low spoke wheels with the original Pacenti design, I'd be cautious of the Alto design which uses radial DS spoking on a 24H rim which looks just like Pacenti V1.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I also talked to a new company called Alto about their 26mm alloy. I talked to Bobby at Alto who told me their rim and hub were designed to work together.
Sounds like marketing speak. I.e. DT Swiss hubs with Sapim j-bend spokes and HED Belgium rims are all made to work together in that they all interface with each other using standard designs.

When I talked to the builder about this he looked at Alto's website and told me that Alto was using the Pacenti rim.
That could very well be the case. A lot of people that just design one part of the wheel then tend to do this. In this case Alto could just be manufacturing the hubs but want to get more profit/margin by selling the entire wheelset. Hence they claim they were "made to work together" but anything that's not made to work together would result in a non-functioning rim.

I asked Bobby if he was using the Pacenti rim and he said no, but that the rims are made in the same factory and so the factory may be selling the rim to multiple places.
Sounds sketchy if true as Pacenti AFAIK designed these rims himself and therefore has rights to being the developer.

Just as another point, alloy rims can't be from an "open mold" as they aren't molded like carbon components.
So, can anybody order that rim from the factory. Is it a generic rim that Pacenti is putting his name on.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Not sure if you read my posts, but the rim they are carrying sure looks like the original Pacenti SL23.

Your point
has rights to being the developer
sounds not quite right. Either Pacenti has a patent on the design or they don't. And I'm not sure what would be patentable. Therefore it seems to me that whoever was making the "old" Pacenti SL23 could probably go on doing so.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I did what checking I could in a short time. There certainly is a strong resemblance to first generation Pacenti. As in identical dimensions, and apparently identical profile.

Pacenti, original:

View attachment 313727

Alto:

View attachment 313726

View attachment 313728

However V2 Pacenti is very different:

Can't speak for the rim itself, but they clearly borrowed the rim cross-section drawing. At least they took 5 minutes to edit the old dimensions out and put some different ones in. Sounds like a classy operation....

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Not sure if you read my posts, but the rim they are carrying sure looks like the original Pacenti SL23.

Your point sounds not quite right. Either Pacenti has a patent on the design or they don't. And I'm not sure what would be patentable. Therefore it seems to me that whoever was making the "old" Pacenti SL23 could probably go on doing so.
I read your posts, but they could be buying them from Pacenti and removing the stickers. I've seen local builders do that quite a few times and call it their wheelset.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey all, thanks for the responses. I know the quality of the Pacenti is a good rim, it's why my potential wheel builder is recommending it. If I am understanding right, is sounds like Alto is using that rim and taking off the stickers. I had specifically asked if this was the case and Bobby from Alto replied "Since we do use the same manufacturer it's not impossible that the same mandrels are used for our rims as well as Pacenti's. Since we have the same cross section profile I believe that may be the case. That being said, I imagine that our heat treatement, shot peening, and welding processes would be different, but I don't have enough experience with Pacenti to know for sure." At this point it's really confusing.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Your friend Bobby has quite a line of patter.

The point you seem to be missing is that there are 2 different generations of Pacenti SL23 rims out there, with the consensus being that V2 was a good improvement. If you look at the sections I posted you will see that it really was a complete redesign, and it's a pity that Pacenti didn't come with a different name.

Alto has no need to peel stickers. They can just buy rims from the factory that made the Pacenti V1.

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,456 Posts
Neither the V1 or V2 is an open mold, and neither rim is available to other companies, except through me...
THE man speaks! Sure puts to rest the rampant and incorrect internet speculations.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
At least let's thank OP for a question that isn't about chain lube, or chain length, or disk brakes, or campy compatibility, or tubular tires, or wide tires, or tire pressure. Because this forum is getting very boring.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts