Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ordered a SL today and was told that they wont be turning this particular frame out in big numbers......that it was a limited production so to speak and it was good of me to order early as to not be disappointed later.

I was just curious why they would do this.Is this just a ploy for Specialized to sell more frames? They claim to have only 2 in my size available at the moment on the west coast and unfortunately I'm on the east.

Would love to hear more on this from someone who knows more.

·
Registered
282 Posts
SPINDAWG said:
ordered a SL today and was told that they wont be turning this particular frame out in big numbers......that it was a limited production so to speak and it was good of me to order early as to not be disappointed later.

I was just curious why they would do this.Is this just a ploy for Specialized to sell more frames? They claim to have only 2 in my size available at the moment on the west coast and unfortunately I'm on the east.

Would love to hear more on this from someone who knows more.
It is a very limited production model. What size are you and are you trying to get a complete bike or just the frameset?

·
Registered
100 Posts
my guess is that they might be limiting it, but it's more like a supply thing. Like it's kind of expensive and why not buy italian. That's what i would do for that kind of money.

·
Registered
282 Posts
chrislh said:
my guess is that they might be limiting it, but it's more like a supply thing. Like it's kind of expensive and why not buy italian. That's what i would do for that kind of money.
Buying Italian would be your preference, but you likely would not be getting a better bike. These bikes ride very smoothly for a bike that is reputed to have the stiffest BB and be the most torsionally rigid of any bike available, at any cost. Of course it does not have the panache associated with something like a Colnago, but panache does not turn the pedals and lean into corners. Just MHO.

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've already got two Eyetalian steeds.

chrislh said:
Wanted to get this particular frameset for the exact reasons that Critchie has mentioned,besides it is a brand that my lbs carries and gave me a very good deal.

I just ordered a size 58 frameset and got the Campag 10v.parts and ES wheels seperately, otherwise this would be a very expensive bike if I was to buy it complete from Specialized.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Our shop just received another SL today. So far we have a 54cm red built up with DA and Mavic ES wheels, ec90 bar, deda mag stem. Also a 56cm blue frame set, and a 54cm blue built up by specialized. It is very tempting to buy the new one with my discount and all, but that is still a lot of money.

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
I was looking at the Specialized availability site, and it was still pretty tight on the SL's (and even the regular S-Works Tarmacs in some sizes). Heard more should be in shortly though (famous last works I guess).

;)

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the headsup Coolhand.

Coolhand said:
I was looking at the Specialized availability site, and it was still pretty tight on the SL's (and even the regular S-Works Tarmacs in some sizes). Heard more should be in shortly though (famous last works I guess).

;)
I'm still amazed that this is the case.You'd think they would want to sell some bikes. This is truley one of the best bikes that I have been fortunate enough to swing a leg over. Very underestimated highend frame in my opinion.

·
Registered
282 Posts
SPINDAWG said:
I'm still amazed that this is the case.You'd think they would want to sell some bikes. This is truley one of the best bikes that I have been fortunate enough to swing a leg over. Very underestimated highend frame in my opinion.
What size are you?

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
58cm.

critchie said:
What size are you?
The geometry of this particular frame fits me perfectly.Will require a 130 stem,but with this pedigree it is best to be long and low.

·
Registered
282 Posts
SPINDAWG said:
The geometry of this particular frame fits me perfectly.Will require a 130 stem,but with this pedigree it is best to be long and low.
What color are you trying to get, blue or red? Frameset or full bike?

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No longer trying to get this frameset,

critchie said:
What color are you trying to get, blue or red? Frameset or full bike?
as it now sits in my lbs.It will be a short wait before I can build it up though,as I wasn't prepared to buy a bike at the present time.It was ordered early to avoid disappointment later,so I'm told,hence the reason for my posting.

To answer your question,I went with a 58cm. red and black frameset. I like to build bikes up with my choice of components,besides I don't really care for the Specialized stuff.

Bummer that this frame will have to collect dust for the time being,but I will post pictures of the final build when the time comes.I'm just sort of glad that I have secured this frame if it is indeed limited,who knows?, only Specialized knows that answer.

·
Registered
282 Posts
SPINDAWG said:
as it now sits in my lbs.It will be a short wait before I can build it up though,as I wasn't prepared to buy a bike at the present time.It was ordered early to avoid disappointment later,so I'm told,hence the reason for my posting.

To answer your question,I went with a 58cm. red and black frameset. I like to build bikes up with my choice of components,besides I don't really care for the Specialized stuff.

Bummer that this frame will have to collect dust for the time being,but I will post pictures of the final build when the time comes.I'm just sort of glad that I have secured this frame if it is indeed limited,who knows?, only Specialized knows that answer.
I asked bacause it is currently available in the blue/carbon version.

Ahh, your missing out on the Specialized components. The only part you would get as a complete bike that is not as good as anything available is the stem. The SL/SW Roubaix only seatpost is as nice as anything I've seen and the saddle adjustment mechanism is awesome. The bars are not ultralite at 220grams, but they nicier than the Zipp B2 I'm riding. The new Toupe saddle is darn light at 160grams and much more comfortable than a similar SLR. Now, all that is just my opinion, so please, nobody have a hissy.

Cheers

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Critchie for sharing more insight

critchie said:
I asked bacause it is currently available in the blue/carbon version.

Ahh, your missing out on the Specialized components. The only part you would get as a complete bike that is not as good as anything available is the stem. The SL/SW Roubaix only seatpost is as nice as anything I've seen and the saddle adjustment mechanism is awesome. The bars are not ultralite at 220grams, but they nicier than the Zipp B2 I'm riding. The new Toupe saddle is darn light at 160grams and much more comfortable than a similar SLR. Now, all that is just my opinion, so please, nobody have a hissy.

Cheers
on the Specialized brand of components.This wasn't the first time I've heard how well the seatpost funtions.I will keep all of this in mind when building it up,although I've always liked the Deda stuff and I personally think the SLR saddle is as comfy as they come,even the carbon versions.

Thanks again Critchie for sharing your thoughts and opinions.You sound pretty knowledgeable on the Specialized line.

·
Registered
604 Posts
SPINDAWG said:
This wasn't the first time I've heard how well the seatpost funtions.I will keep all of this in mind when building it up,
The Pave SL should have been included with your frameset. All Specialized framesets include a seatpost, the 56cm SL I assembled earlier in the year included the new SL post.

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the headsup concerning the post.

It's a great looking post with simple mechanisms,but 8grams heavier than my Ritchey WCS carbon post,so it'll be entering the world of ebay.

The bike has been built up now and weighs in a shade under 16 lbs. minus a Campag Record FD which I am anxiously awaiting. Should have pictures of this beautiful steed along with the build specs come this weekend,so get out your drool rags,because this bike is a looker!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
SPINDAWG said:
It's a great looking post with simple mechanisms,but 8grams heavier than my Ritchey WCS carbon post,so it'll be entering the world of ebay.
Ebay over 8 grams? A true WW :) That massive bolt that runs though the head must be able to replaced with a ti one to cut out the 8 grams? Surly the Pave SL is more comfortable than the WCS?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.