Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I would have posted this in the gravel riding sub-forum, but for some strange reason it doesn't seem to show up on my web browser.

Is there a good resource for finding gravel road-bike suitable roads and trails? RidewithGPS seems to be hit-or-miss, for example. (A road near where I live, which is a fireroad in a state park, doesn't even show up on their maps.) There are lots of mountain-bike-specific resources, but they tend to focus most on technical single-track trails that aren't ideal. Is there anything comprehensive for fire-roads and similar?

·
Registered
529 Posts
The U.S. Forestry Service publishes maps of it's road network of the land it manages. Also, the your state DOT should be able to provide information on the improved and unimproved roads. I'm lucky living in the mid west -- all I have to do is head towards the agriculture and will always find crushed lime stone roads.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
mtbr.com

look out for spitters though.....

Reactions: Aadub

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Sorry, I would have posted this in the gravel riding sub-forum, but for some strange reason it doesn't seem to show up on my web browser.
Funny, that. Maybe you should concentrate on something that's gaining in popularity instead?
:lol:
Great idea though- I like the idea of more info on routes. RidewGPS can be useful, but for the more remote roads, it's not reliable. Garmin is pretty much useless for planning gravel routes. (or on-the-fly changes to routes, when remote).
For me, it's just been going w/ friends who know the routes, but I'd have a tough time committing to an unknown route.

mtbr.com

look out for spitters though.....
Ouch! and Yes, good info over on MTBR.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
you can do a Strava Activity search with the word gravel, and it should turn up any rides with the word in the title withing 200 miles - you can narrow the search radius to less than 200 too

·
Registered
698 Posts
This blog post on Cartography: Gravel Road Map Resources is very useful.

gravelmap.com
gravelmap.com is very good. It's yellow gravel routes are uploaded by members, and some are better documented than others. Nice format--the map is easy to browse. You can bookmark/favorite the current map window, since the URL changes as you browse.

I think most of it's routes have been posted within the last 2 years, and it already has a lot of routes. Add any missing routes that you've ridden!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I don't know about other areas, but in Washington State, the Department of Natural Resources maintains a map of forest/logging/fire roads in the forests they manage.

Sadly, due to budget cuts, they are going to stop maintaining many of them. This is a problem here, with all of the rains in fall and winter, many of the roads are quickly washed out, or blocked by blow overs. Once that happens most will be unrideable.

Here is a link to their website for anyone interested
Recreation | WA - DNR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.