Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTF is wrong with my leg muscles? I can make my foot muscles under my arch, knot up on demand by straightening my leg, pointing my toes and flexing the muscles. But that's not the worst of it. I went swimming today (after my 10 mile commute home) while my daughter was in swim class, and half way thorough my 1st length of the pool, my left calf muscle twisted up so bad I had to stop. I finished that length and the one back, doing the breast stroke. My calf still feels a bit sore, 2 hours later. Ever since then, I've been trying to stretch my calf muscle. And actually, this also happened last summer, when I did the exact same thing. I swam 4 days in a row, and it happened every time, but not so bad that I couldn't continue (HTFU worked last year, but not today) Why is this happening? Anything I can do to stop it?

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seriously? Nothin'? Bump. BTW, my calf is still sore today. Am I going to die? Does trek make good calves?

·
done
3,293 Posts
Are you drinking enough water? Similar thing happens to me (calf and the arch of my foot) toward the end of a swim workout if I was lax on hydration during the day.

Stretch. Hydrate.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Love Commander said:
Are you drinking enough water? Similar thing happens to me (calf and the arch of my foot) toward the end of a swim workout if I was lax on hydration during the day.

Stretch. Hydrate.
Hmm. Mebby. I didn't take a bottle for the ride home. Maybe I'll try it again today. I didn't ride to work today. So I'll hydrate like mad and try to swim and see what happens.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
You could try drinking some tonic water before and after you swim. Supposedly the quinine (sp?) in it helps you. I mix it with orange juice so I get some sugar and potassium while I'm at it. Also helps with the taste.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts