Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the Vittoria's Rubino Pro and Diamante Pro. the difference is 30 grams, but the Rubino it's much durable and a little harder to install on my rims.
What does the 30 grams really means in terms of rolling resistance or rotational weight?
I always hear comments saying "it's a heavy tire"
Thanks

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
No.

If you're not racing on a tire, buy a tire that's cheap and wears like iron.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
diamante pro and a 55 gram inner tube. you'll enjoy the ride. the short answer is yes but i can't prove it. there is a difference between just carrying 30 additional grams and carrying and providing the torque to spin it. always try to save rotational weight where you can.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,341 Posts
cmg said:
diamante pro and a 55 gram inner tube. you'll enjoy the ride. the short answer is yes but i can't prove it. there is a difference between just carrying 30 additional grams and carrying and providing the torque to spin it. always try to save rotational weight where you can.
There's only a difference if you're accelerating or decelerating. 60 grams of tire weight is the equivalent of a few ounces of water. Use the bathroom before riding your bike and you just saved that weight without spending anything.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of your imput.
I've heard that rolling resistance or rotational weight is actually more than the 30 grams when the wheel is actually spinning.
I like the Michelins Pro3, but they are just too hard to install on my flashpoint rims

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Rubino Pros

are much like the Michelin Pro2 race IMHO, great balanced all-around tire that can do some weeknight worlds, but is fine for all-around riding if you have good roads.

Diamante Pros are much faster tires, grippier, it's not so much about the 30 grams as it is the flexible casing and stickier rubber. They wear out faster and cut down quickly. Great race tire if you can't quite justify the "one-and-done" Open Corsas, which REALLY rock.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Argentius said:
are much like the Michelin Pro2 race IMHO, great balanced all-around tire that can do some weeknight worlds, but is fine for all-around riding if you have good roads.

Diamante Pros are much faster tires, grippier, it's not so much about the 30 grams as it is the flexible casing and stickier rubber. They wear out faster and cut down quickly. Great race tire if you can't quite justify the "one-and-done" Open Corsas, which REALLY rock.

I like the Diamante pro lights. Try the Schwalbe Ultremo R1 or a Veloflex pave for equal weight savings and lower cost than the open Corsas.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Argentius said:
Great race tire if you can't quite justify the "one-and-done" Open Corsas, which REALLY rock.
what do you mean 'one and done'? the OC has been my tire of choice for several years, on several bikes. at ~180lbs, i routinely get 3-4k out of a front and 1.5-2k out of a rear. well worth the price, especially at ~$40 from the UK.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,341 Posts
CiaccioJon said:
Not only is it rotational weight, but its furthest from the hub. 30 grams in the tire is like 150 grams in the hub.

Its science.
It is a religion, actually. The Church of "Rotational Weight".

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
You must not

ride very hard on rubber, that's a lot of miles! Are you racing these tires, or just riding on them?

I love, love the feel of Open Corsas, but after maybe 500 miles of racing, if I haven't totally cut down the rear, it's still likely to have become thin enough that it's not raceworthy any longer.

The front lasts maybe twice as long, as you suggest.

FWIW, I weigh ~140 pounds.

dookie said:
what do you mean 'one and done'? the OC has been my tire of choice for several years, on several bikes. at ~180lbs, i routinely get 3-4k out of a front and 1.5-2k out of a rear. well worth the price, especially at ~$40 from the UK.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think it's easy to shrug one's shoulders and say "Meh, what's 30 or 60 grams on this or that part?" But if one took that approach to every part of the bike, the result would be a heavy sled. A nice light bike is the sum of it's parts, so to be a weight weeny, I suggest, is a reasonable obsession to have. The only limiting factor is how much coin you want to throw at it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Tyres are one of those things where you get weight, road feel and grip all intersecting, unlike other parts where light weight is just a weight loss. A lot of the top-end tyres have low weights, but also the best rubber technology, dual compounds and most sophisticated 'treads'. By itself, 30g is nothing. But if the 30g also comes with better rolling in the centre and grip on the edges, plus a more supple carcass for less road-buzz transmission and better feel in the corners.....then I'm all for it.

I use Open Corsa CX II always for this reason. Probikekit.com has good prices.

·
Registered
269 Posts
CiaccioJon said:
Not only is it rotational weight, but its furthest from the hub. 30 grams in the tire is like 150 grams in the hub.

Its science.
It's science? Multiplying by 5 to obtain "equivalent" weight? I suggest you revise your calculations. I heard figures of 3 times and I can swallow it, but 5 times is far stretched.

And even then, it only matters during acceleration, not at cruising speed. Those 30 grams at the edge of the wheel may require an energy expenditure 3 times as great as static weight during acceleration, but once you've got your speed, you're fighting air resistance and friction, not inertia.

Besides, when you factor in your own weight and the bike's weight, the percentage of the total inertia becomes insignificant. I'll take myself as an exemple. I weight 145 pounds (64,5 kg or 64 500 grams). My bike weights roughly 16,5 pounds (7,5 kg/7500 grams) and if I fill my two water bottles, you can add 1,5 kg. Total : 73 kg or 73 000 grams. How big is 30 grams compared to that figure? Roughly 5 hundredth of one percent. Multiply by 3 to obtain an "equivalent" weight figure and it's still only in the order of 1 tenth of one percent.

If you can feel a difference of 1 tenth of a percent in the overall system's weight (bike + rider), then you've got amazing sensitivity.

So, in the end, you won't feel the weight difference. You may feel the difference in grip, in tire suppleness and in rolling resistance, but NOT weight.

'Doesn't mean you shouldn't try to lose weight with your tires... It's just to keep things in perspective. And keep in mind that the heavier tire rolls far longer ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.