Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always noticed during the races... there are more pros using white bar tape
than any other color. Is there a legacy to this?

Tks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lartymarf said:

Tks.
I use white bar tape. No other reason for me but for looks. I have a black Leader 736r and it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
'Cause it looks pretty.

And would look pretty on lots of non-pros' bikes as well. The real question is why more of those others don't use it, and the answer is that unlike the pros most us don't have a) somebody to wash it every day (or time to do it ourselves) so it doesn't look grungy; or b) the funds to replace it every time it gets irretrievably dirty after a few long rides. I've used it, and it looks nice -- when it's new.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pros ride on white bar tape because it is a well known fact that colorless tape weights less.
Besides there is significant difference in temperature between a white tape and a color tape.
Itis quite simple in fact, just look at Le Tour White riders are faster than color bikers.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Don't know, but it looks like K-Mart to me.

I worked one Christmas in college assembling bikes at K-Mart (10 minutes per bike; there are probably people in wheelchairs all over California because of me), and nearly all of them came out of the box with white grips or bar tape, depending on whether they were roadish or mountainlike. To this day I can't see a bike with white tape without thinking of those [email protected] little junkers.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Viva Mexico! said:
Pros ride on white bar tape because it is a well known fact that colorless tape weights less.
Besides there is significant difference in temperature between a white tape and a color tape.
Itis quite simple in fact, just look at Le Tour White riders are faster than color bikers.
Hey, no tape at all is even lighter!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Um, white IS a color

Viva Mexico! said:
That is either the funniest post I have seen in weeks or it's incredibly not so.

·
E Plurbus Elvis
1,055 Posts
Trend

They use white now because: 1) it's trendy, and 2) almost every bike is black carbon.

A few years ago the trend was blue tape, but that was when they used to actually paint bikes.

I predict that in a few years, with the advent of colored carbon, a different color will dominate the peloton.

·
Registered
399 Posts
White reflects light of all colors.Touch a white car on a hot day, then a black one. The black one will be hotter. On bar tape, the difference is minimal. The real difference is that with white tape the area around the tape will be warmer (due to all the reflected heat), and warmer air is thinner and has less wind resistance, allowing you to go faster. Also, your arms wil appear tanner against the backdrop of the white bars, making you feel like a serious, tanned roadie who spends a lot of time riding. This will make you feel, and go, faster. White tape IS faster than other colors.

You're welcome.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
if you ever use your gloves to wipe glass or sand off your tires don't buy white bar tape.

or if you plan on changing a tire...

or god forbid its hot out and your powerbar gu stuff ooozes out of the package all over your darn hands.

as for bar tape getting hot. Just ain't gona happen like that. cork has a very low thermal compasity and transmitiance. Things like metal, water, oil are very high. The color isn't going to effect it much at all. synthetic or leather wrap might get more toasty.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Lartymarf said:

Tks.
The real reason white tape use to be the color of choice for the pros..

When a pro went looking for his bike the morning after a race or ride, clean white tape told him the bike was tuned and ready to go. The last thing a mechanic did when working on a bike was change the bar tape.

As for today's trend , it more fashion than anything else.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
The real reason white tape use to be the color of choice for the pros..

When a pro went looking for his bike the morning after a race or ride, clean white tape told him the bike was tuned and ready to go. The last thing a mechanic did when working on a bike was change the bar tape.

As for today's trend , it more fashion than anything else.
No it`s not...
it`s because it`s lighter, faster, more productive comfortable, not drinking too much, regular excersise at the gym...

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Boy, that's one I never learned in engineering school! This must be from the "alternative" science curriculum. :)
ok smartass
yea might not be the right term
its been 10 years since i've taken corses that covered it but if its that important i could look it up in my old text.

·
E Plurbus Elvis
1,055 Posts
dfleck said:
ok smartass
yea might not be the right term
its been 10 years since i've taken corses that covered it but if its that important i could look it up in my old text.
In my line of work, we call it thermal mass.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Foot size is correlated to IQ, too.

Viva Mexico! said:
No it`s not...
it`s because it`s lighter, faster, more productive comfortable, not drinking too much, regular excersise at the gym...
In my line of work we call that a non sequitor.

I use black bar tape because I like dark beer and because my wife reads Dostoyevsky. .

Mr. Hickey, thank you for the insightful post .

·
Banned
349 Posts
I'm gonna guess it's because the teams buy tape probably by the case or larger quantities and matching colors to bikes would be a lot of pointless work. White would be "generic" and when it gets slightly dirty it gets changed. Hard to see dirt on tape when the tape is some designer color.

·
carpe omnes
185 Posts
a friend of mine once painted his 98 honda civic from jet black to white. he gained 100hp at the wheels as a result. white is just faster.

...plus, Chuck Norris uses white tape on all his weapons.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts