Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a wheelset that is similar to the ever popular OP/Ultegra but with a slight twist, I'd like a lower spoke count, 24/28 would be great, and semi-aero, somewhere around 26mm. Bladed spokes a plus.
Is there such a beast, either pre-built or custom?

Thanks.
Lou.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you are looking for the ride characteristics of OPs, try the DT Swiss RR1.1 rims... Have them now and they ride very nicely just like the OPs I used to have. The only drawback is that they are not very deep in profile adn you will need at least 28 spokes per rim unless you are light or less harsh on your wheels.

For 26mm, you can try the velocity fusions which I have had before also. They are definitely harsher in ride and no where as comfy as the OPs. Fairly decent in weight and spins up fast. Also sturdy enough to go 24/28 spokes without a problem. The fusions will prolly be a wee bit faster, 0.1mph??, but no where as comfy as the rr1.1s.

·
Registered
652 Posts
man, I love semi-aero wheel discussions; it's a thread about nothing!

since I know someone else will probably bring this up, generally speaking a rim less than 40-50mm deep provides negligible areodynamic benefit. on the other hand, v-shaped rims are stronger in the (lateral?) plane, and people generally think they are stiffer.

I've had a pair of aerohead velocity rimmed wheels (for track racing), a pair of CXP-30's (first real pair of wheels), and currently have a set of FiR Mast rims (32 though) which are nice 'n stiff, great for 'cross, and a set of Campy Shamals on the TT machine. The Shamals are fastest and best-looking, the CXP-30's are ideally what you want - but may not get because they're not made anymore - and the FiRs like I said are great (3x lacing, so a little off for whatever you want.) The aeroheads were okay, nothing special, but not bad either. plus they come in lots of color and lacing possibilities.

hope that helped

·
Registered
4,105 Posts

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Vinokourov said:
The fusions will prolly be a wee bit faster, 0.1mph??, but no where as comfy as the rr1.1s.
The vertical flex of any of these wheels is a few microns... compared to the few mm flex of tires, I don't see how you could tell the difference.

The DT rims are inferior to the OPs in my opinion... the older models with single eyelets had some cracking problems and the new 32 holes models with double eyelets (like OPs) are heavy. And, they are not at all aero.

Fusions are good... maybe Sun Venus... or Deep Vs or Swifts if you want 30mm rims. Alex also makes some decent semi-aero rims. For 30mm light rims Niobiums (IRD or Mike Garcia) are it.

Spokes? If you are on a budget, AE15s are worth a try... 79 cents each from Mike Garcia last I checked. Use DB14s on the drive rear.

I wish there was a ubiquitous "aero" wheel out there like the Ultegra/OPs too, but I could find any with specs I liked. Gotta go custom...

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
upstateSC-rider said:
Looking for a wheelset that is similar to the ever popular OP/Ultegra but with a slight twist, I'd like a lower spoke count, 24/28 would be great, and semi-aero, somewhere around 26mm. Bladed spokes a plus.
Is there such a beast, either pre-built or custom?

Thanks.
Lou.
I think you are missing something here. Why do you think the Ultegra/OP is "ever popular"? Because they offer the value/durability of a full spoke-count, box rim, standard hub, standard spokes. If you want/need something different, so be it, but it's more than a "slight twist". - TF

·
Banned
941 Posts
I agree. .

rruff said:
The DT rims are inferior to the OPs in my opinion...
with you. I've built up with both the DT's and the Open Pros. Open Pros are much better in overall build quality (ie. .not loose eyelets, and peeling stickers. .etc). I don't see the DT's being used for more than a couple of years tops. The also don't build up quickly and true as the Opens.

·
Registered
838 Posts
mantraxl said:
Oooh. Whats the 33mm rim?
It is a niobium rim that has 3mm of carbon laminated onto the surface to reinforce the rim and it gives it a small amount of extra height. It is also the same rim as the Cane Creek Aros33.

·
Registered
652 Posts
rruff said:
Uh... no. A 26mm rim would be closer to a 40-50mm rim than it would be to a box section.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=550582#poststop
OK. First time I have heard that claim. So, I'm still right by prefacing my statement with "Generally speaking..."

Personally I think that "wheel science" is a lot like "propaganda." Yeah yeah, those hardass tests in German Tour mag are cool, but who's their sugar daddy? Huh?

Oops, Colbert Report is on. Time for more "truth"!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.