Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for a couple years now but I could never ride with no hands for more then a couple seconds and I certainly can't throw both arms over my head like the pros do when they win a race, is there a trick to riding with no hands?

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Too lazy to read the entire linked thread, so this may have been mentioned already:

1. Sit up quickly and as straight up as you can. Leaning back a little is even better.
2. Put one pedal at bottom dead center, drop your heel and put pressure on that pedal. That'll force the saddle nose into the inside of your thigh for good steering control. Try the left, then the right pedal—one side will feel more natural than the other.
3. If you want to pedal, shift to a big gear to keep pressure on the pedals and slow down cadence.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Speed. You want some speed before attempting this. The rotation of the wheels and tyres helps tremendously. Think about how a top works if this confuses you. A top spins fast in parallel with the surface it is spinning on. Notice how it doesn't wobble until it starts to slow down.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
trick? get better at bike handling... try track standing first... getting a sense of balance might be a good idea before the hands off approach...

another note, check your local rules.... over here if the fuzz spot u doing it, its a fine.... in a race if u do it, even over the finish line, good bye to the prize money...

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
could say the exact same thing about riding bikes generally... replace 'hit something unexpected' with 'were hit by an idiot driver' and u'd never enjoy riding your bike...

its all about fun.

besides, u can hit small bumps no problem, only a proper pothole or speed hump would throw u off... and if u can't sight that stuff, prolly don't wanna be riding w/ seeing an optometrist first..

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Human nature.

slitespd said:
Why do you want to do it? Did you ever wonder what might happen if you hit something unexpected in the road and had zero control over the bike? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
It's like anything else you love to do: once you get good at it, you want to get even better at it. Why stop learning at the so-so level of competence? :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Start with putting just the tips of your fingers on the bars to get used to letting the road guide you. Gradually accustom yourself until you have one finger on each side of the bar. Then, take your non-dominant finger off. The next step is taking your last finger off the bar. Once that's done, you are riding with no hands. To learn to lean back, you might want to put the tips of the fingers back on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.