Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard more than once that most people spend too much time riding in the not easy enough or not hard enough zone.

That riding in the just hard enough zone isnt really doing anything for increasing performance.

Today I planned to ride for a good length of time. About 7 hours or so. But to do so I would have to spend the entire ride in Z2, well at least the majority of it.

Is there really any benifit to doing this? Or am I just spending a really long time not getting much for all the effort?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Its great for you! Just not always the most effective use of time or the best to do right before a big event. If you spent 11 months doing 7 hour rides and 1 month doing speed work, you'd be flying at the end of that month.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Some may debate the benefit from riding that much and cite new studies n' stuff, but I can't imagine there wouldn't at least be some benefit. Most of us don't have the luxury to consistently ride that long in a day, so a lot of modern training is more based on efficiency due to a limited schedule.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts