Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You spend $150 - $200 for a regular Castelli bib and jersey, you know you can recoup some on Ebay, provided they're in good condition.

You spend that amount on an amateur team kit, you know nobody wants it, except maybe the ebayers looking to buy a cheap "rainy day kit". I just love how The Pro Closet inflate the prices of some of the amateur kits at prices that they think is "fair", lol half price is not anywhere close to fair.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Meh...value is the judgement of each individual.

I believe it's worthless to judge where others find value. There is a lot of that in these threads.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
some teams prefer you to ride with the kit on.. especially team rides. You do have sponsors you know, helps get there name seen as well (good or bad depending on your groups behavior) My LBS gave me a kit after I lead a few groups rides when the normal leader was sick... I'm ok with that :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Riding out of the same shop for a long time it has not been an issue but I have ended up with a rotation as the kits change year to year.

I start with two new kits per year.

Monday through Friday solo rides are for the worst of the worst; stretched out, pad worn, tattered from crashes or dull looking from the sun or mud. Weekday group rides is the previous years kit or current.

Saturday - Sunday are the new kits.

If I have to retire kits, I just purchase as needed during the year.

Between MTN, cross and road, I am always flipping components on eBay or craigslist. Never understood doing the same with apparel though.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Why would anyone wear the kit of a team that they aren't on????

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My team kit this year is $225 (bib and jersey), and it has been increasing every year. It's in our by laws that members have to purchase a complete kit (bib and jersey) whenever the team releases a new kit (due to the yearly changing sponsors). I have literally well over $1000 dollar worth of team kits in the last 3 years. Recently I have been contemplating of leaving the team (because the leader is a dictator) and I'm thinking how to recoup some of this money should I quit. Other then selling them to the current guys on the team, I'm thinking I'll get close to zero $ on fleabay.

I also hate the fact that I'm overpaying for the kit. Apparently, I have found out that the team has been charging members something like 20% over the vendor's price. And I also found out that some higher ranking members didn't pay for their kits. It's all political bs, one reason why I'm thinking of quiting before shelling out $225!

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why would anyone wear the kit of a team that they aren't on????
I see a few regular guys on Pina F8 wearing Sky kit. Also see guys on Trek wearing Trek Factory Racing kit. Pretty damn sure they weren't Sky nor Trek factory racers.

Then there's the ubiquitous Garmin Sharp, Cannondale, Saxo Tinkoff, and Cervelo, kits around here. Pretty sure none of these guys are factory racers either.

I wish my team has the prestige, that would make my kits more "valuable" on fleabay eh

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
My team kit this year is $225 (bib and jersey), and it has been increasing every year. It's in our by laws that members have to purchase a complete kit (bib and jersey) whenever the team releases a new kit (due to the yearly changing sponsors).
You have stated several times previously that you don't race. Why are you buying team kits?

Why do you belong to a facist team?

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have stated several times previously that you don't race. Why are you buying team kits?

Why do you belong to a facist team?
I currently don't do crits. I come out for some KOM events and a few road races with climbs. That's about it homie, you're a bit obsessed with me racing or not racing, lol. Topic at hand is about the worth or worthlessness of amateur team kits.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
...you're a bit obsessed with me racing or not racing, lol. Topic at hand is about the worth or worthlessness of amateur team kits.
Only because you've made a
point of the fact you don't race (which makes it particularly odd that you are on a team and spend money on team kits).

I've already expressed my opinion of the topic.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only because you've made a
point of the fact you don't race (which makes it particularly odd that you are on a team and spend money on team kits).

I've already expressed my opinion of the topic.
I joined the team originally thinking I was going to do some crit racing when I started doing the road cycling thing over 3 years ago. Things never came about, and slowly I've lost interest in crit, and slowly over 3 years, I've turned into a lightweight punchy climber. So now I favor Kom events and 1 or 2 road races with anything more than a mole hill. I also joined the team along with some other buddies who got me into racing back then, but they have pretty much left the team due to various life reasons. Now the team has a lot of new and younger members which I sometimes don't care for, not my crowds. Sadly, the team has experienced a lot of turnovers due to the progressively dictatorial leadership, blah blahh

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
^So this thread is really thinly disguised cartharsis as you rant about regretting spending money on team kits for a team you now dislike.

Well...enjoy it. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Forget the whole race or don't race thing. I am still absolutely amazed and weirded out that someone would buy used kit on e-bay.....WTF?

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Forget the whole race or don't race thing. I am still absolutely amazed and weirded out that someone would buy used kit on e-bay.....WTF?
I had the same reaction. Ewwww.

Reactions: ghettocop

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
It sounds like your complaint is about the management of your particular team, rather than the general concept of amateur team kits. It sounds like you don't like anything about the team, and I wonder if you're getting enough from the membership to justify even the membership fees, let alone the expensive kit. Maybe looking for another team would make sense. Or here's a thought: do you need to be on a team at all? The few events you race you could do solo. Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
You spend $150 - $200 for a regular Castelli bib and jersey, you know you can recoup some on Ebay, provided they're in good condition.
Are you serious? Someone will actually buy your used Catelli kit? On what planet would anyone want a sweat soaked kit from some other dude? The only thing stranger than that IMO is buying a kit with the thought that you'll wear it and then recoup some of your money by selling it used. Yuck.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
aclinjury what happened to you?

Seriously, did someone get your account?

Your either posting about about cutting noobs off on a race on a mut. Now your complaining no one will buy your sweaty gear. Your a part of a team but dont actually race on that team.

Are you selling gear to pay for the broken bikes?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Post up a link to your Strava so we can see pictures of your team kit, I am sure you have some great pictures on there we all want to see.......

1 - 20 of 58 Posts