Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a reason I shouldn't use Shimano M520 pedals on my road bike?

I have the Shimano 105's and like them but wish I had something double sided. They tend to hang in a position that makes me have to look down while I'm clipping in. I would have gotten Speedplay's but I weigh 250 and its my understanding they can't be used if you are over 185.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
No reason not to use whatever pedals you're comfortable with. On the other hand, your issue with clipping in to the 105's would disappear with a bit more practice. If you work on it you will learn to do it by feel, and not have to look.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Speedplay pedals have no rider weight limit unless they have titanium spindles. I tried the Zeros last year and really like them. I weigh 210 and have had no problems; have to squirt a little grease in the end every few months. Great pedals. Much better than the 105s I used to use.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
I guess I didn't think of that... I can't use my road cycling shoes with mountain biking cleats?
Some shoes have both SPD AND Look bolt patterns (SPD-SL in Shimano terms)

ie Shimano SH-R088L

the outer 3 nuts (that form a triangle) are Look

the inner 2 nuts are SPD

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Is there a reason I shouldn't use Shimano M520 pedals on my road bike?
Some will say that running mtn pedals on a road bike is a faux pax but I don't care what the snobbish asshats say anyway. Screw Rule 34.

And I hate shoes that you can't walk in. To me, that is the biggest reason for not getting Look-type road pedals again.

I bought Crank Bros Candy2s and love them. At 322g they're light, easy in/out, are rebuildable and cost $61 from amazon.
They're even silver alloy so they don't look so much like mtn pedals, if you care about that.

And these shoes are great! They're as stiff as my road shoes but with the recessed cleats walking is not a problem.

·
Banned
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some will say that running mtn pedals on a road bike is a faux pax but I don't care what the snobbish asshats say anyway. Screw Rule 34.

And I hate shoes that you can't walk in. To me, that is the biggest reason for not getting Look-type road pedals again.

I bought Crank Bros Candy2s and love them. At 322g they're light, work great, are rebuildable and cost $61 from amazon.
They're even silver alloy so they don't look so much like mtn pedals, if you care about that.
Well it sounds like... Since I already have road cycling shoes I should just get used to my 105's, unless there's a better option for a heavy rider

I put 105's on my gf's bike and she refused to leave the house with them they were so difficult for her to get in. She felt she would fall the first time she had to take off. I will try egg beaters or Speedplay's for her

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Started with Mtn biking and so I use SPD mountain shoes and SPD pedals. I use the normal M -535 on my mtn bike and A-520's on my road bike. The road pedals ares still SPD so fit right up to the mtn shoe and come out the same way. However they are lighter than 535 mtn pedal and have a larger platform.

Getting clipped in a bit harder than on two sided mtn pedals, but it is not big deal since I rarely unclip. I can still push the back side of the pedal to get moving and flip the pedal over to get clipped in.

·
Super Moderator
41,374 Posts
If you put mountain pedals on your road bike, won't it get confused, maybe start having identity issues?

[I run SPDs on my winter bike, SLs on my summer bike, old-timey ratties on my FG, and newer-but-still-old mountain rattraps on my mountain bike.]

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I will try egg beaters or Speedplay's for her
The Candy pedals are Eggbeaters with a platform (same company) and use the same cleats. The Candy1s have a plastic body and cheaper bearings. These are the 2s. Very easy to get in and out of.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Candy pedals are Eggbeaters with a platform (same company) and use the same cleats. The Candy1s have a plastic body and cheaper bearings. These are the 2s. Very easy to get in and out of.
That isn't a platform it is to protect the pedal for more heavy duty trail riding. I have used both Eggbeaters and currently Candys on my mountain bikes. No difference at all in feel. You essentially paid more and got a heavier pedal for no reason. I currently use Look pedals on my road bike. One sided entry took a little getting used to, but like with learning clipless it becomes second nature.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
That isn't a platform it is to protect the pedal for more heavy duty trail riding. I have used both Eggbeaters and currently Candys on my mountain bikes. No difference at all in feel. You essentially paid more and got a heavier pedal for no reason. I currently use Look pedals on my road bike. One sided entry took a little getting used to, but like with learning clipless it becomes second nature.
No. You go get a little edge to increase the contact surface while pedaling. And if you miss the first time, you have the platform to save yourself a bit.

The cage offers no protection from tougher technical riding.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No. You go get a little edge to increase the contact surface while pedaling. And if you miss the first time, you have the platform to save yourself a bit.

The cage offers no protection from tougher technical riding.
The rocky New England trails I ride say otherwise. Candys hold up to the abuse of pedal strikes a whole lot better. Have you personally used both on trails with enough hours to comment on the matter? That "platform" makes absolutely NO difference in the feel and if you can't clip into the 4 sided eggbeaters and need the "platform" on the candys for help then you have some problems.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
That isn't a platform it is to protect the pedal for more heavy duty trail riding. You essentially paid more and got a heavier pedal for no reason.
Sorry, I don't agree with your logic at all. It is a platform and doesn't do anything to "protect the pedal."

When I'm riding in city traffic I don't always clip in right away; I usually wait until I'm through the intersection. With the platform my shoe is not as likely to slide off like with the eggbeaters.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.