Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a complete dolt when it comes to keeping up with music. I'm stuck in '60's through '80's rock, but it might be nice to update a bit, if there is any. I don't even know where to start in iTunes. Are there any groups in the last 10 years or so with music similar to Boston, Kansas, Styx, Foreigner, Police, Van Halen, Pink Floyd, U2, Queen, Journey, Stones, etc.? Thanks.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Wolfmother & Jet have a 70's sound to me. Try some of the newer sounds. I think you'll like them, Green Day, Decemberists are great.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
some bands that continue to put out good rock IMHO are:
Gov't Mule, Black Crowes, The Black Keys, JJ Grey and Mofro, Galactic, The WMD's (Keller Williams, Moseley Droll and Sipe), Umphreys McGee, Moe., Disco Biscuits, Electric Six, Hank III and Assjack, Avenged Sevenfold....

·
Registered
467 Posts
Everything in this thread +1 and...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The Gaslight Anthem-

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Fixed said:
I'm a complete dolt when it comes to keeping up with music. I'm stuck in '60's through '80's rock, but it might be nice to update a bit, if there is any. I don't even know where to start in iTunes. Are there any groups in the last 10 years or so with music similar to Boston, Kansas, Styx, Foreigner, Police, Van Halen, Pink Floyd, U2, Queen, Journey, Stones, etc.? Thanks.
No.

On the other hand, the advent of the internet and the abilty to post videos means that there is tons of stuff about the old (read "good") rock acts that you have never seen nor heard.

For example: I grew up listening to the studio version of The Who's "Tommy." The live version, which was released as part of an updated "Live at Leeds" reissue was a revelation. No fancy studio production. No other instruments except 1 guitar, one bass, one drumset, and one of the greatest voices in Rock. The video is killer.

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
thedago said:
The Gaslight Anthem-
+1. American Slang is great.

Pretty much anything that Jack White has done, IMO. If the White Stripes aren't your thing, check out the Raconteurs or his new group the Dead Weather.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Andrew1 said:
Everything in this thread +1 and...

thanks, this is the best lead on new music in this thread so far...I def like their sound.

Them Crooked Vultures...good stuff.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
North Mississippi Allstars sould like they could be from the era you're stuck in. They are great too. More like the Almond Bros than any band you mentioned though.

Jon Spencer Blues Expolsion.......they have sort of an old bluesy sound but are really fresh at the same time. I think these guys are amazing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts