Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
researching new pedals. Top two choices for MTB pedals on road bike are:frogs and ATACS. Use a SPD pedal that has 5 or 6 degrees of float. When I was fitted for a bike the fit guru told me my knees point in, so some float is good. So the frogs have a ton of float(26 degrees). The ATACs have about 5-6 degrees of float. Was leaning toward the frogs but will that amount of float now hurt me?? Knees are good. no aches and pains :D

Thanks......

ZOOOG

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Yes, there is such a thing as too much float. Just as much of a problem as not enough. Stick to the range you are familiar with.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what my thought was. Too much float might lead to other problems. I guess the ATACS are my naswer.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Pedals and Knees

My knees "point in" as you put it and my knees really like maximum float which is not what I expected. I rode with no float for several years before trying Speedplay. Now I ride X-1's and my knees feel much better, but I haven't tried Time yet.
~Al

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
No. If there was such thing as too much float riding your beach cruiser with flip flops would be bad for your knees. I even even filed off the inner stops on the Frogs I use on my mtb--but that's so I can release on the inside in a weird, low-speed mtb-type fall. Some people have a bad/weird spin though and will whack the crank arms with their heels if they have a lot of float.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
There certainly is for me.

I had a world of trouble finding the clipless pedal combination that would work for me. I had a lot of trouble releasing and provided so much amusement for my mountain bike buddies that I considered going back to toe clips. What finally worked for me is Shimano SPD mountain pedals with the SH55 zero float cleat. I've never had any knee discomfort so I don't worry about lack of float.

I may be an unusual case because if I stand normally, my toes point ******d at almost a 90 degree included angle.

I pretty much take an "If it ain't broke" approach to things like this. If 5 to 6 degrees of float works for you, why should you make a major change?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but...wouldn't less float limit the movement. Or would cleat placement dictate how I conttrol this movement...beach flops...AHHH only if it was warm enough.:D

I remember that during the fit and cleat placement I was told that b/c my knees tend to point "in" than some float was good. AM I confusing myself???

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
zooog said:
but...wouldn't less float limit the movement. Or would cleat placement dictate how I conttrol this movement...beach flops...AHHH only if it was warm enough.:D

I remember that during the fit and cleat placement I was told that b/c my knees tend to point "in" than some float was good. AM I confusing myself???
Yes, less float would limit the movement. But one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that there are really two types of float. The Speedplay float is total free float. The Time float is a sping-loaded float--in other words the springs are always trying to gently tug you back to a nuetral position. I rode Time pedals in the 80s but this started to bug me so I switched to Speedplay in the 90s and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so this free float.....if I tend to point in will it just let me do that??? Does correct cleat position allow me to keep knee as straight as I can possibly keep them for efficient pedal strokes. Does nutral position mean "no float" position

Hope none of this is redundant. thanks

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
zooog said:
so this free float.....if I tend to point in will it just let me do that??? Does correct cleat position allow me to keep knee as straight as I can possibly keep them for efficient pedal strokes. Does nutral position mean "no float" position

Hope none of this is redundant. thanks
With Speedplays you basically just adjust the fore/aft on your cleats and go ride your bike. But some people do find the float too "free" and even unnerving--especially while sprinting, etc. Kind of depends how much movement your foot goes through during the each revolution--it's natural to have some movement and my feeling is it's bad for your pedals to be fighting against you. But others don't feel secure in their pedals unless there are some limits on the amount of float. It usually takes people a ride or two to get used to Speedplays, and some people never really get used to them.

There is a whole other issue about how solid a platform the pedal/cleat provides--which is why some people prefer big pedals/cleats like Looks. In my experience a very stiff solid shoe can make up for the small platform on pedals like Speedplays (I like Carnacs).

Basically it takes some time and $$$ to figure out what you like and what works for you.

When I said neutral above I refering to the middle position on the Times where the spring is not acting on you--you can adjust this by how you position the cleat. There really is no neutral positon on Speedplays--there is simply a stop on the inside and they release on the outside. Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
Every set of knees is different- but the Speedplays had too much float for me. This has happened for others as well- hence the Speedplay Zero series.

Currently I ride a set of Eggbeater Twin Ti's, as they seem to make my knees happy. Also when you add the weight of the cleat and pedal against other systems they are one of the lightest around (some "light" pedals shift alot of weight to the cleat system and convienently forget to weigh them).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts