Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi can anyone shed light on this horizontal crack line near the rear dropout?

Bike Make: Kuota Kredo (Naked carbon frame with clear coat)
Year: 2007
Miles Done: about 10k to 15k+

How does this feel? I can barely move my fingernail across it, its not so noticebale unless you are really looking at it.
From what i am reading this could be a crack in the clear coat due to frame flex. This area is usually where the carbon and aluminium drop out meet and usually is where flex happens the most. Maybe this could be the cause? So far, I am not running into any issue. Just finished a 150km and seems just fine.

Pictures Below:

Please put me at ease.

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Bicycle part

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
To me, that looks bad. The clearcoat appears extremely thin in that area and I don't think it would leave a defined line like that, I think it would almost flake off a little being so thin. I would not be too trusting of the integrity of that chainstay. If that fails while you're riding it, it's gonna be ugly. Maybe try what Peter P. said if you're feeling lucky. Wash it first.

·
Administrator
13,021 Posts
Moderators Note-

His IP caused an issue- should be set now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Put some contrasting colored fingernail polish over the "crack". If the fingenail polish cracks, then the frame is cracked or the bond to the aluminum dropout is failing.
Have done exactly that with some bright red nail polish. Will update on here after a 200km ride. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To me, that looks bad. The clearcoat appears extremely thin in that area and I don't think it would leave a defined line like that, I think it would almost flake off a little being so thin. I would not be too trusting of the integrity of that chainstay. If that fails while you're riding it, it's gonna be ugly. Maybe try what Peter P. said if you're feeling lucky. Wash it first.
Thank you for the insight. My issue is something like this over here: Horizontal crack line above rear drop out drive side

It is the exact same issue. Apparently it is also very normal and a non issue as well! I have applied a thick chunk of bright pink nail polish over the crack and will update on how it goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts