Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
Price Point has been around a while so they should be reputable - never dealt with them.

that is a good price for that entry level road bike.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Look at it this way: Fifteen years ago, a bike like that was probably Tour De France worthy.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
It is a good enough bike if you are between about 5'6" and 6' since it is only available in 3 sizes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but is the bike company sette reputible? and does bikes direct sell good wquality bikes? i had never heard of sette, windsor or mercier. Are they good bikes too? I'm looking to upgrade from my upgraded schwinn paramount steel frame.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
twitch1 said:
but is the bike company sette reputible? and does bikes direct sell good wquality bikes? i had never heard of sette, windsor or mercier. Are they good bikes too? I'm looking to upgrade from my upgraded schwinn paramount steel frame.
I'll take the Paramount off your hands. All you have to do is pay for shipping and handling.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
twitch1 said:
Nobodies ever heard of Sette, the marketing department didn't feel comfortable marketing it under the name Generic or No Name Bike, so they came up with Sette.

It is a generically sourced, generically assembled, mass marketed, slightly higher grade bike than you will find in a big box retailer. It is not "brand" with a legacy of sales and service, with a race pedigree, and 1000's of satisfied customers. It's chief appeal is the price tag. If it's what you can afford, buy it, it's as reasonably speced as you will find at that price point. If you can afford more... spend more.

Scot

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha... I like the paramount. She rides great. Look for it when i put it up for sale if you want it. Its nice. The wife just wont let me have more than 3 bikes in our shed at the same time.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'd suggest you purchase, even by special-order, a bicycle through a local shop. They can put it together and they are right there should you need service under warranty.

Never heard of Sette. Likely a generic bicycle judging by the components. Sette probably being a name that sounded like what the president of the export-firm gasped as he choked on a bowl of Lo Mein.

<edit> Good move going for a Bianchi.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Those Bianchis that JensonUSA is selling for $800 look to be a better deal overall than the Sette. It's $200 more, but you get Tiagra versus Sora components. Neither are top end, but at least with Tiagra you get real STI shifting verses that thumb down-shifter deal on the Sora.

Have you considered looking at a used bike? I have read some complaints recently about Bianchi customer service, but I doubt that's the norm.

Todd

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Around here i cant seem to find a good used bike. I'm looking on ebay as well. But i think its going to be the Bianchi. Its a birthday gift for me from my wife and my parents. they wanted me to give them some ideas. So i'm unsure on which it is, either felt, bianchi or a trek i think. But we will see what i end up with. They no what i like i hope. And i hope the get the right size HAHA... Thanks for all yalls help

·
Registered
832 Posts
Tiagra are good components. I can't feel much difference between Tiagra and Ultegra in some instances. And I've heard they last a long time.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
It looks pretty.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wish i could afford a high end cervelo or a kestrel but alas i work for peanuts and seperation pay with the military. I always like bianchi and have always heard good things about them but never had the money to buy anything "expensive". No i have a wife that doesnt understand cycling and that it is an obsession and a life style not something that i just go out and do. So i am going to be putting up for sale a paramount that is about 10 years old at least maybe 12. How would i find out how oldit is? Its got sora components, rolf vector rims and a couple of minor nicks in the paint from rocks and transport. How much should i be asking for? Its all steel frame and oversized.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I know a guy that bought a bike like that. Real pretty and simple. On the third club ride the crank was making the most horrible clicking sound. No LBS to back you up. Bummer. Be careful with those things. Keep looking so you wont be dissapointed. I paid 800 dollars for a good bike in 1985. Hard to believe you can still buy a road bike for under 900 bucks.

Price point will ship to you using UPS and that in itself is a gamble. UPS is known for running over bike boxes for fun.

If you include the shipping and handling charge, you will pay 539.96 for your Sette.

For only 340 dollars more you could have a real bike that is backed by a Local Bike shops and not be worried about quality, guarantees, or UPS running over your bike box.

May I present to you the Trek Road 1.2 ...

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/1_series/12/

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
ive realized, at least around here, i can get name brand bikes typically with better components locally on closeout for much less than anything on online retailers are offering... and local buying includes free fitting, and parts swapping.

brand new 09 bikes, sure the internet is killing the lbs.. but take a look at those closeout 08's, or even better 07's sitting there that the lbs is just dying to get rid of and will make huge discounts on.

i bet theres similar deals going on locally for you! my first road bike was an internet bike, and while it really was a pretty good solid bike that i enjoyed (a windsor), it didnt fit right.

For only 340 dollars more
girlfriend picked up a trek 1.2 for about 700 all said and done! great bike too. only 160 bucks more :)

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
+1 on going to your local LBS and finding a good bike that will come with local support. It is not always about price and on the Internet, you often get what you pay for.

Also, looking at the picture, something just doesn't look right about that bike. I can't put my finger on it, but somethin' just ain't right.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Trek has excellent warranties and enforces them through their authorized dealers. If you go with the Trek, if anything feels wrong - take it back and they'll fix it. Bad chains, odd noises, anything.

With all current commercial production bicycles, the first thing I'd want to know more about is the wheels. That's where they cut corners these days. If you don't have money to upgrade - or build - better wheels, beware of such marketing gimmicks as "Radial front! Looks cool!" What they really mean is - "Higher profits! Cheap to make!"

Also Sora isn't bad, but it's not the greatest either. On my Trek I swapped a Tiagra RD for an Ultegra (on permanent sale for $40 - drop me a message if interested) RD and got SRAM shifters - marked improvement for around $100. But I'm a perfectionist. LOL.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts