Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a relatively new cyclist. Never done road racing but would like to in 2017. I've started training with power and earmarked funds to buy a pm on my race bike as well. I've got a very nice madone I'll use to race; current wheelset is the 2010 bontrager race lite aero. I think they're 1700 grams. Power profile and physique of a climber-have zero sprint but very good ftp for a beginner and high fatigue resistance. No weight to lose. Have done well in 4 hr mtb races and gravel grinders.

Have the opportunity to buy a brand new Fulcrum red wind H50 wheelset for $325 from a friend. I'm on the fence; obviously it's a good deal financially but will having those wheels be a good investment for the future when I improve and am chasing seconds? Being a breakaway guy, I try to win town sign sprints by going very early and beating up others before the town sprint.

I understand fitness is going to be 95% of my improvement, and the almost 1900g weight of these wheels makes me iffy on buying them, even though they're 1000$ at probikekit now. I guess I could buy them and re-sell them. Thoughts?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a pair of shimano rs10 wheels I use for training/ bad weather already, so the race lites are my nice road wheels. I use the shimanos for road riding on my cross bike too. So I don't need them for backup purposes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts