Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help Needed-Is this a good frame geometry for 5'4 (28'' inseam)?

Hello there!

I came across this geometry with 44 cm frame size (recommended by a TREK dealer based on my physic) and wanted to know if there are any better options then this out there in the market that I might be missing. This SL 5 bike that would cost me around $1600+Tax so not sure if I can still have other options in that range. (Defy/Roubaix etc) :confused:

Thanks in advance!!

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Proof is in the pudding. Hop on one and ride it!

That being said, seems a little small to me, but I'm 6'2" so more familiar with the fit of larger size frames. There are a few online fit calculators. I used the Competitive Cyclist one many years ago for my first real road bike purchase.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Your height and inseam are vague guidelines for frame size. The effective top tube length is the most important measurement. Different brands and even different bike lines within a single brand will have varying geometries that affect fit. For example, a 50cm Fuji Alamira frame is actually bigger than the 52cm frame on a Scott Foil. If you don't know what top tube length you need, you really should test ride a few bikes first.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
The effective top tube length is the most important measurement.

I would have to disagree. The stack and reach are your most important measurements.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Good choice of bike. I recently went shopping with a friend and she (Trek sells in both mens & womens versions) ended up buying one. She paid a few hundred more, so maybe you scored a good deal. The lightness amazed me. With some component/wheel/tire/etc upgrades, one could get this under 16 pounds easily.

That size seems a little small to me. Maybe a 46 or 47 makes more sense. With a 28 inch inseam and seat at max height, your feet will almost lie flat on the ground. You need more of a tiptoe type situation.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Considering your height and inseam, I'm inclined to suggest a larger frame, in the 48-50cm range, perhaps.

What I don't like about the SL-5 is the front end geometry, 70.5 head angle, 50mm fork rake, and resultant 68mm of trail. This is usually done to prevent toe overlap of the front wheel, or the front wheel interfering with the downtube.

Try using one of the on-line fit calculators such as by Lennard Zinn. HERE he shows how to take the measurements.

Compare the results to the Trek's numbers.

While small bikes have to compromise their front end geometry to accommodate shorter top tubes, the Trek seems excessive.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Looking at the OP's measurement numbers again, some look rather odd. But it appears that maybe the OP is a woman. (Please do not hold this against me if you're not! :) )
That short top tube and relatively short wheelbase suggest a woman's sizing.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
But the number 44 means nothing. The effective top tube is 50 and the reach is 36. that sounds about right to me for a 5' 4"person.
All I can say is that I have worked at a shop that sells Trek for years and someone that's 5' 4" would be on a 47 or possibly a 50 depending on their proportions. A 44 Trek is SMALL. It's the smallest bike they make...is it also supposed to fit a rider that's 5' 0" or smaller? Doubtful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts... Sorry ..forgot to mention about my gender but I guess most of you have assumed me as a male which is true.

I need to go in store with bike shorts and try 47 again.. the only problem is that they dont really have 44 frame size in stock where I can ride and compare it.

I dont think they will just order that for my trial purpose..

I also measured me again to put those figures in the fit calculator and results show like this: Again it seems like they do have different dimensions on bike geometry..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts