Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK how can I say this diplomatic lets try " For the mature age cyclist" as anybody read Joe Friel's book "Cycling Past 50" I have his cycling bible I picked up many many years ago just wondering if this Cycling Past 50 is any good reading.
Any input appreciated.

Ray Still

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
abiciriderback said:
OK how can I say this diplomatic lets try " For the mature age cyclist" as anybody read Joe Friel's book "Cycling Past 50" I have his cycling bible I picked up many many years ago just wondering if this Cycling Past 50 is any good reading.
Any input appreciated.

Ray Still
I've got a copy of it, might have two copies having bought the second one used because I hadn't seen the first one in a year or two (insert memory lapse jokes here :rolleyes: ). I like it, has some interesting points in it, fairly nice reading, similar to his other books. Use what you can or need out of it, ignore or modify the rest to suit your personal situation and condition.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
IMO it's a smart bit of marketing, but training is training so any of the other guides will work.

The main caveat I've noticed, as I and my friends age, is recovery takes longer from a hard workout. I can't do 3 hard rides a week consistently like I used to, and back to back days are a lot harder on the 2nd day. You also need more time on stretching and core work and general overall strenght / conditioning.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I'm on the other side of 60. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that you gradually get slower as you age.

The hardest part is motivation. Sometimes I just don't feel like riding, but once I get on my bike and rolling, it's great.

I think it's different for everyone. I don't need to read a book in order to tell me to quit whining and get on my bike and ride.

Diet is more important. I can't eat like a pig like I did when I was younger. Your metabolism changes as you age.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.