Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a few road bikes in the past, but still consider myself a newby. I'm looking at getting back into road riding, primarily for exercise purposes. Most of my rides would be under 30 miles, but a century may pop up sometime in my future. I once rode the Hotter-N-Hell 100 and may do that again.

Anyway, I looked at the new Trek 2.1 at the LBS but couldn't stomach the $1500+ price right now. I also liked the Spec. Allez Sport but I'm still looking at $1300 plus tax.

I have a line on a 2002 Trek 2200 with a mix of Ultegra (shifters, crankset, front derr.) and 105 (rear derr. and hubs). I have not looked at the bike yet, but having owned Treks in the past, I know that the 58cm will fit me just fine. He is also throwing in some Look pedals.

He is asking $500 for the bike and says it has not been wrecked and has no dings. Having bought used bikes before, I know to check welds, etc. But, assuming this bike is in good shape, would $500 be reasonable? Also, does it sound like this would meet my needs (based on my description above)?

I appreciate any input.

Todd in TX

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Seams OK deal.

Checking completed listings on eBay, a Trek 2200 got 9 bids an sold for $620 two weeks ago. No model year was given, but the bike was blue with black panels/white letters and I think that scheme was 2002 or thereabouts.

Seems like a good deal if the big $$ items are OK—mainly brake shifters and wheels. If Bontrager wheels, check the rims for cracks at the spoke holes. Ultegra Octalink bottom brackets are all gone, so you have to go 105 if you need a BB replacement. Not a problem, though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I posted this question in the general forum as well. I wasn't getting any responses here in the Beginner section. If I need to pull one, I will.

Todd

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
BoneDigger said:
I posted this question in the general forum as well. I wasn't getting any responses here in the Beginner section. If I need to pull one, I will.

Todd
That's a cross-post, not a double post. No wonder I couldn't find it. :D

IMO, nothing wrong with that given your reason. Don't pull it—you can't get rid of the title anyway, so all you'd do is turn it into an 'empty' post.

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
BoneDigger said:
I have had a few road bikes in the past, but still consider myself a newby. I'm looking at getting back into road riding, primarily for exercise purposes. Most of my rides would be under 30 miles, but a century may pop up sometime in my future. I once rode the Hotter-N-Hell 100 and may do that again.

Anyway, I looked at the new Trek 2.1 at the LBS but couldn't stomach the $1500+ price right now. I also liked the Spec. Allez Sport but I'm still looking at $1300 plus tax.

I have a line on a 2002 Trek 2200 with a mix of Ultegra (shifters, crankset, front derr.) and 105 (rear derr. and hubs). I have not looked at the bike yet, but having owned Treks in the past, I know that the 58cm will fit me just fine. He is also throwing in some Look pedals.

He is asking $500 for the bike and says it has not been wrecked and has no dings. Having bought used bikes before, I know to check welds, etc. But, assuming this bike is in good shape, would $500 be reasonable? Also, does it sound like this would meet my needs (based on my description above)?

I appreciate any input.

Todd in TX
Brand new 2.1's are going for abour $1200.
But the specs are no where worth it.
2100's will come with a way better drivetrain.

Question is, which is better suited for you?

You have to actually "ride them", then decide.

Saving $700. isn't worth anything if the 2.1 isn't a better "fit" for you.

$500. is a great price on a 2100.

"If" it fits you.

The best bikes out of the 1.X/2.X Series is the 1.5 which I got or the 2.3 which is the one that'll come in at about $1500.-$1800, and which are way worth it.

For me, the 1.5 is the one. If I were going to spend anything close to $2000., I might as well just drop another G and pick up a 5.2 Madone.

The 2.1 in my opinion is not different enough from a 1.5 to justify the price hike (besides the carbon seat stays).

Here, read this...2.1 specs VS 2100 specs:
http://www.roadcycler.com/2008/06/trek-21-review-2008/

·
Registered
196 Posts
if i might weigh in. i bought a bike to bomb around on, training on, ride in the rain last year. after trying a couple, i picked up a 2008 2.3 with 105 (ultegra rear derailleur). right out the gate, you MUST upgrade the brakes. bottom line, they suck. they are beyond terrible. thats how trek keeps the price low. most of their low and mid bikes have lousy 3rd company brakes.

besides that, i love the bike. one problem with some of the lower bikes is the wheels. the 2.1 and 2.3 come with bonty race. nothing to write home about, but not terrible. below that, you get trash. i'm a light 165lbs, so i'm ok, but if i were 30lbs heavier, i'd be worried about destroying the wheels quickly. even more so if you're running the bottom line wheels found on low end bikes. bonty race are about 250, race lite are a bit more.

2002 is an old bike. you don't know where its been for 6 years or so. 500$ may look good now, but not if you're fixing or upgrading everything in the next year. give it a good work over, and ride if you can. listen for noises and feel for vibrations. spending a bit more on a bike new may be worth it, as trek and possibly your shop, will have great warantee programs to take care of any problems.

my two cents. (i love my trek, that comes from someone who just built up a 2009 orbea orca)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.