Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please comment on bike fit. I have completed 50km rides on it but still feel something is off.

I'm playing with seat hight, tilt and position but feel something bigger is at hand.

Any tips would help as I'm really looking to complete a much longer charity ride this weekend.
Short video

·
Registered
727 Posts
My first impression is that you are much too big for that bike. But, my impression could be off. The picture is taken from not the best angle and may be exaggerating your size.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
My first impression is that you are much too big for that bike. But, my impression could be off. The picture is taken from not the best angle and may be exaggerating your size.
I agree. But it also looks like you're ahem, chunky around the middle, meaning a longer position that might fit your upper body better would not be possible due to your girth. That's common, and the solution is a more upright position which is what I see.

Looks like your seat height is good, despite your not wearing cycling shoes, so I can generally assume your saddle position on the bike is good. But it does look like you need a little more room for your upper body. I would not want to see your handlebar stem any lower. Any chance you can try a longer stem?

I tried viewing the video but it says your album is empty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree. But it also looks like you're ahem, chunky around the middle, meaning a longer position that might fit your upper body better would not be possible due to your girth. That's common, and the solution is a more upright position which is what I see.

Looks like your seat height is good, despite your not wearing cycling shoes, so I can generally assume your saddle position on the bike is good. But it does look like you need a little more room for your upper body. I would not want to see your handlebar stem any lower. Any chance you can try a longer stem?

I tried viewing the video but it says your album is empty.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
So unless I misunderstood, I'm curious if it just a bad picture... my waist is about 32 inch.
I felt the bike is too small as I can hit the wheel with my toe when turning.

I will consider going to a bike shop tomorrow for another stem but I'm reluctant to spend money if I gave to replace the whole bike.

Ps. I fixed the link to the video.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I'd say a longer or lower stem, stretch yourself out a bit. If you're comfortable using wrenches you can re-arrange spacers and experiment with stem height for zero cost. If lowering the stem causes some uncomfortableness in the mid section raise it back and try a longer stem. Both increase your reach, stretching you out and creating a little more room.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Toe overlap is a pretty common problem that is avoided by knowing where to position your feet in relation to when you are turning & is not an indicator of frame size. I slowed the video down to 1/4 spd & I agree with everyone else that the bike seems to be the right size for you. I do think that you probably need a longer stem but it depends on your comfort level & how flexible you are. Right now you seem to have a very compact & high position on the bike.

Its just an observation & you shouldn't rush out & emulate the pro's & slam the stem & get the longest stem out there. When starting out in cycling, your body position on the bike will change as you ride more & get stronger. Like so many things in life, this is also a journey.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I felt the bike is too small as I can hit the wheel with my toe when turning.
Toe overlap, as you have experienced, is common on small frames. Small bikes have shorter top tubes and therefore shorter wheelbases, to enable shorter riders like yourself, to reach the handlebars. But toe overlap is not an issue when riding, except maybe when doing a tight U-turn in a parking lot, for instance.

I was able to view the video and you do look too scrunched up on the bike. But if all you're concerned about is the toe overlap, I'd say leave the bike as-is. Otherwise, rather than buy a new, longer stem, lower your existing stem 1cm. and leave things alone for a year or two until you have a better understanding of your fit needs. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for thr advice. I will look at my stem today. I'm surprised a little through by the advice because I do feel more weight on hands in general which I thought meant the handle bar is too low.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Doesn’t look to off after seeing the video. Saddle height looks decent.
As others said you look a little scrunched up.
Taking the seat back can help that also.
How tall are you and what size is the bike?

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
toe overlap is common, doesn't indicate anything regarding a properly sized frame.

based on the crappy photo provided, you look like you're riding your little brother's bike....

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
You say something is wrong, you need to elaborate. U need to start stretching. U look ok to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd say a longer or lower stem, stretch yourself out a bit. If you're comfortable using wrenches you can re-arrange spacers and experiment with stem height for zero cost. If lowering the stem causes some uncomfortableness in the mid section raise it back and try a longer stem. Both increase your reach, stretching you out and creating a little more room.
I totally agree with this opinion!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts