Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a Colnago Super with older Dura-Ace components and RSX brifters. The bike is a bit on the rough side, but looks pretty good for an early 80's (?) bike.

My question is, what is this bike worth in really nice condition? I am thinking of buying it for resale. I will strip the frame and have it repainted with the correct Colnago stickers (I can get them on eBay) and clean and polish the components.

Is this worth it? Also, what is a reasonable price to pay for this bike in this condition?

Thanks,
Ian

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
I'm a huge old Dura Ace fan and will buy almost anything from that era. I'd pass on those parts...They are spent.....they are anodized so polishing is out of the question unless you strip off the anodizing.

The frame on the other hand is a good canidate for restoration.

Bottom line, I'd pay what the frame is worth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It really depends on whether you want to just do it for the satisfaction of it, or to make money on it. To make something on it it needs dura ace aero levers and downtube shifters, to keep it as one component package. Therefore $300-$375 is fair. If you do a good job you may pull $900-$1300. If it's just for the joy of doing it up then go to $500.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I agree with Dave, most of those parts are pretty far gone, might be able to save the rear derailleur, but the brakes and crank look pretty beat up.

Same thing for the fork, though if the rust is just surface rust, you should be able to remove it with steel wool, the real question is what condition are the insides of the tubes like, if there is rust in them, I would say keep looking for another bike.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I follow Dave's assessment. Unless you enjoy the metal work and such, the components aren't worth the time to re-work. The steel parts have too much rust that it won't be cost and time efficient. Then you probably can buy NOS or well stored used parts on that auction site.

Any pics of the bottom of the BB shell?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.