Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am assuming it is, but thought I would check to see if anyone on this forum might say/suggest otherwise. I havent seen the bike since before the wreck, so I dont know if it has cracks on it or not. If it doesnt, would you trust a carbon frame after this type of impact? I am assuming not.

I had a headon collision with another rider last weekend. I was going 25 mph. trying to catch the group in front of me, around a curve. I suffered a concussion as did the other rider and neither of us have any memory of the accident. I think that I may have swung out towards the middle of the loop and he swung in to make a left and didnt see me. I was pretty sick - vomiting, loss of consciousness, amnesia - but am recovering pretty quickly. Lots of cuts, scrapes, but considering the speed we were going and my frame size (110 lb. female vs. large male), I think I got off really good. I think the bike took the impact instead of me. I was told that I was tangled in the bike when I was found and the riders had to pull out their tools to disentangle me. I dont know the condition of the front wheel, I have been too sick up until now to check (they are at a friend's house who is out of town). Luckily, I was riding with a bunch of neurosurgeons!

I have already started looking for a new frame (does anyone know of a 52 cm. carbon frame and fork used/on sale).

Thank you for any advice,

jenny

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Formula 1 car explode to absorb the impact and save the driver.

I believe the Formula CF Giant uses does the same in that regard. EXPLODE!

Anyways, I would inspect it myself and probably ride it. CF isn't that fragile though people would disagree with me. I mean plenty of racers have crashed CF bikes only to get back on and continue the race. Crashes at the Tour are always bad, yet, most riders don't just grab a new bike off their support car.

·
Rock the Mullet!
305 Posts
bdx1366 said:
send it back to giant , you may get lucky , I believe they have lifetime warranty's on their frames.
No factory lifetime warranty is valid when the frame is crashed. They may have a crash replacement program but it will be a discounted price for a new frame not a warranty replacement.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If a close inspection does not find any ripples, cracks or any other faults I would have no problems riding that bike (apart from the fact it's a mile too small for me).

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Yeah.. your fork is obviously toasted.. I'm willing to guess the frame is fine though. Have a shop look it over. After you get a new fork on it have the shop test it themselves to see if it's ok if you have any doubt.

Glad you're ok though! That could have ended very badly..

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Why get rid of a good frame unless you aren't showing us all the damage? If you want to replace the fork. I think the Easton EC 90 aero fork will do the trick. Just a thought.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys! I need to get over to my friend's house to closely inspect the frame for cracks now that I can drive. If none, then maybe I will take it to a shop to double check or send to giant (I did email a pic to a friend who is a giant rep to see what he would say) and hopefully I can order a new fork from giant. I am pretty sure giant wont take the frame back.

I just always assumed that once a carbon frame was involved in a bad accident, it could no longer be ridden.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.