Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three months ago, I became the second owner of a meticulously maintained 2001 Cervelo Prodigy (steel frame), my first proper road bike.

Four days ago, a 17-year-old dude pulled out in front of me while I was doing 25 mph. I cracked a couple ribs, but didn't think the bike was hurt till, while fiddling around with it tonight, I noticed a nice buckle on the underside of the downtube, a few inches below the head tube.

My heart's a bit broken, and I'm wondering if the frame is still safe to ride. (For what it's worth, I weigh about 220 pounds / 100 kilos.)

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
godsey said:
Three months ago, I became the second owner of a meticulously maintained 2001 Cervelo Prodigy (steel frame), my first proper road bike.

Four days ago, a 17-year-old dude pulled out in front of me while I was doing 25 mph. I cracked a couple ribs, but didn't think the bike was hurt till, while fiddling around with it tonight, I noticed a nice buckle on the underside of the downtube, a few inches below the head tube.

My heart's a bit broken, and I'm wondering if the frame is still safe to ride. (For what it's worth, I weigh about 220 pounds / 100 kilos.)
um, I weight about 50 pounds less than you and no I would not ride it. dents in steel are one thing, but folded metal is another. Too bad, those cervelo steel frames were really nice, sorry about your accident

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
One of the nicest things about steel is it repairability. You can have that tube replaced and painted for far less than it would cost to buy a new frame.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Bummer. Those frames, especially the white ones, are really nice.

I would not ride that.

I hope you got the 17 year old's insurance info and filed a police report. If you haven't filed, you may still be able to do so. It'll help you collect from his insurance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me last week. I was a little banged up but I trashed my 3-week old Grand Record Frame right at the headtube. I'm building up my new frame this week (Leader 736r).

If you have a carbon fork on the bike I would replace it too. Internal damage or seperation may not be evident until you hit the brakes going 40mph down a hill.

As for your frame, that downtube is folded and weak. Cut your losses and get a new frame. Everything else should transfer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Flash said:
As soon as you ask that question, it is unsafe to ride....

Guess what...you're getting a new bike!!!!!!
Yeah...

But I didn't have the presence of mind to get the kid's contact and insurance info. After finding no obvious trauma to myself or the bike, I just wanted to get home. Duh. Not wise.

Looks like the 1986 Schwinn LeTour cyclocross-type Frankenbike will be getting some upgraded components and a lot of road time this summer.

·
Larry Lackapants
698 Posts
godsey said:
Yeah...

But I didn't have the presence of mind to get the kid's contact and insurance info. After finding no obvious trauma to myself or the bike, I just wanted to get home. Duh. Not wise.

Looks like the 1986 Schwinn LeTour cyclocross-type Frankenbike will be getting some upgraded components and a lot of road time this summer.
I'd still ask Cervelo about this. It's too nice of a frame to give up on it. Sorry about your crash, and hey - you're lucky to be safe and sound now. In the end bikes can be repaired or replaced :D

Good luck (or better luck) to all of us
brblue

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
insurance???

The frame is probably trash. If nothing else, it's probably out of alignment.

If someone driving a car pulled out in front of you, their car insurance owes you full compensation and another several thousand dollars for the broken ribs (assuming he was in the wrong).

I had to fight a car insurance company in a similar situation, but my attorney eventually got me damage compensation, plus nearly $5,000 (and $5,000 for his firm).

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
godsey said:
I noticed a nice buckle on the underside of the downtube, a few inches below the head tube.
As it stands now, the frame is structurally intact and safe to ride. The creases will cause stress risers, and these in turn may lead to cracks. Those cracks may then propogate to the point where the tubes will break. This can happen sooner, later, or never.

The point is that it's a process, not an immediate catastrophic failure. Ride the bike conservatively, keep an eye on the area, and if a crack doeas appear, then decide whether you want to keep riding and see how fast the crack grows, or stop riding and get a new frame or this one repaired.

I have a Super Prodigy with a dent in the top tube about the size of my thumb nail with a crease at the top. I've ridden it that way for 8 months now with no problems or signs of trouble.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
godsey said:

If you have to ask, it ain't safe.

What size do you ride?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
If you have auto insurance, you still may be able to file a claim. Your uninsured motorist coverage usually covers accidents with drivers who have no insurance or flee the scene. But you just might be able to work something out with your own insurance company. Call them. If they won't budge, as a good attorney for advice.

I'm just floored by the fact that a driver could have killed you and yet you failed to even bother to collect his info, let alone call the police/EMS.Good luck with your frame.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
team_sheepshead said:
I'm just floored by the fact that a driver could have killed you and yet you failed to even bother to collect his info, let alone call the police/EMS.
Honestly, so am i. Sitting here at my computer, with all my faculties about me, it makes no sense; I'm more than a little angry at myself and embarrassed. At the time, all I could think to do was get out of the road, make the bike rideable, and get home. One of many life moments I wish I had back.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
update:

i found and chatted with the kid who cut me off.

he's college-age, works as a caregiver to adults with developmental disabilities, and has no insurance of any kind (because wisconsin, where he lives, doesn't require auto insurance), so a new frame for me would come out of his pocket.

his car is crummy. he's nice. the cost of a new frame would almost certainly hurt his finances way more than mine.

still waiting to hear what cervelo says about the frame.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.