Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a race this weekend (off road dirt bikes 2.5 hours) and thanks to cycling and the diet that came with it I probably had my best race ever.

But as a side effect of being able to "push" for much longer than ever before, at about the 100 min mark I had a strange thing happen to my hands.

They quit working. Most of the time is spent with all but my index fingers around the grips, the index fingers are on the front brake and clutch levers. Well at 100 minutes or so my fingers would not come out of the grip position. I had a pretty hard time using the brake and clutch fingers, and my other fingers were just "dead".

This forced me to slow down a bit and to "loosen" up a lot. After 5 minutes or so things got back to normal though and intense effort would immediately bring the "cramp effect?" back.

Later on in the race I developed a little unintenional tightening /pain in my hamstrings. I started sitting down more and again slowed up a little, and that went away as well.

THEN, at about the 2.125 hour mark after a very brief but very intense full body muscle useage I got the "cramps" over my entire body. My legs arms back and neck all went tight and slightly painful on me. This forced me again to relax until the feeling went away. But after the initial "hit" any high intensity muscle usage would bring the problem back.

I do not know if the hand issue is the same as what happened to the other parts of my body or not. It is a different feeling as the issue with my fingers did not have any pain involved. Just a dead feeling and not being able to move the fingers.

Any info would be a huge help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
You got a diet with your bicycle!? Mine didn't come with one...

Seriously, I'm glad that it's working for you. I took up (or rather got back into) cycling to get in better shape for observed trials competitions. Then cycling took over my life.

The hands problem sounds like arm pump. The hamstrings sounds like overuse. Mine get tight and hurt when I have been doing a lot of seated climbing. The overall body cramp could either be back spasms, or cramping due to a lack of electrolytes. But for me that takes longer than two hours (say 5+ hours on the bike, doing big climbs fast), and I get slow and sick to my stomach, not cramps. But off road motorcycling isn't as smooth in its muscle use so the symptoms may be different.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts