Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have some cracks developing (to understate it) where my chainstays interface the bottom bracket shell. This is a Colnago CT-1. The stays are carbon, the frame is titanium. Should I consider this normal and not worry about it or is this a sign of something amiss?

·
orlin03
413 Posts
It looks like what I'd expect to see when paint bridges the gap between two completely different materials. Your carbon flexes more than your frame, and the paint does not flex enough to compensate, so it cracks. Look at it again real close and think about that possibility; it might be fine.

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
Creakyknees said:
Take it to an authorized Colnago dealer, and tell them you want the factory rep to look at it, and you want to be there when he does so.

This is the proper course of action, but don't expect miracles. There is no such thing as a Colnago factory rep in the US, and their Veltec rep may or may not be able to definitively diagnose this. Colnago does maintain a repair facility in the US, so that's a plus.

If you remove the rear wheel and flex the rear triangle by hand, do you hear any untoward noises? If you tug or bend the stay in question, can you see it moving separately from the lug?

Unfortunately for you, that bike probably had a 2 year warranty, which has since expired. I wouldn't expect to get a new Colnago out of this.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have seen this with a steel frame that I have which is related to cracking in the paint at the lugs, which allows moisture to get beneath the paint and create surficial rust, and is not structural failure of the frame. I would recommend having a frame builder take a look at this bike.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for all of the input. I'm hoping I can save my trusty steed from an early retirement. We have been through a lot together so I have an irrational bond to this frame.

Maestro - No creaking or noticeable movement. Since this is a 2003 it is most likely not covered under warranty. I'm less concerned about that than I am with getting it repaired (if that seems necessary) so I'm hoping that the Colnago repair facility in the US can do the job. Thanks for that lead.

Mwestray - I will take this to a frame builder today or tomorrow if I can find an appropriate one. I would normally trust Calfee the most but this isn't exactly his style of build. Perhaps the guys at Sycip or even Steelman (I think he is on the area) might be willing to take a look at it. They do Ti/Carbon stay builds. I doubt this is a rust related issue since the frame is Ti.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heh. That my mantra for the day..."less worse". Thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed for less worse. I hope you're right. Perhaps I should cross-post folks in the Colnago forum to see if any CT-1 or Dream owners have had this problem.

Cheers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
jgrantv10 said:
Heh. That my mantra for the day..."less worse". Thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed for less worse. I hope you're right. Perhaps I should cross-post folks in the Colnago forum to see if any CT-1 or Dream owners have had this problem.

Cheers.
haha, I am glad my improper english inspires you :)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
keep in mind that the carbon is bonded to the Ti at least an inch deep in the lug. And bonded all the way around the tube. It looks to me like the paint is simply cracking at the glue joint. As in, the paint doesn't stick too well to the epoxy, so it is cracking not on the Ti, not on the carbon, but on the epoxy that bonds the 2 materials. But certainly get it checked by someone who knows more than me. There should be plenty of those folks around.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay,

So I take it to my LBS and the owners have a look and think it may be a critical compromise to the frame. I tell them that I understand that Colnago has a stateside repair facility so they say, "great, let's look into that". They call up Veltec on my behalf, who tell us to take it to Calfee. Huh? Okay. Looks like I'm paying Calfee a visit. Maybe I'll just end up coming home with a bamboo frame. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.